Progress DataDirect’s Salesforce ODBC and JDBC Drivers offer a high-performing, secure, and reliable connectivity solution, for ODBC and JDBC applications to access Salesforce data. If you want to use our ODBC and JDBC Salesforce Drivers with the Tableau Desktop application, Progress DataDirect has you covered. This tutorial will teach you how to configure the DataDirect Salesforce ODBC and JDBC driver within Tableau Desktop to create reports. These steps can also configure any ODBC and JDBC connection with Tableau.
This tutorial assumes that you have ODBC drivers installed and a data source configured. If you have not yet done these steps, please follow these instructions:
1. After the DataDirect Salesforce ODBC driver has been installed, open ODBC Administrator to configure the connection and click on "Add."
2. Choose the “” driver and click on “.”
3. You should now see the ODBC Salesforce Driver Setup pop-up window launched. Add your Data Source Name, hostname, username, and other credentials, and click on “” and then “.” If you are connecting to a sandbox instance use “test.salesforce.com” as Host Name. If your instance does not require a security token to connect, leave it blank.
4. A Logon Dialog will pop up. Enter your username and password and click on “.”
5. A pop-up window will confirm that the connection is established.
1. Start Tableau and select the “Other Databases (ODBC)” option.
2. In the pop-up window select the “DSN” radial button and choose the data source previously configured to connect to Salesforce in the dropdown and click on “Connect.”
3. The Logon Dialog will reappear. Provide hostname, schema map, username, and password again, and click on “OK.”
4. Enter any additional parameters required to connect to your Salesforce data sources, such as a username and password, and select “Sign In.”
1. To get started, copy sforce.jar from the Progress install location to Tableau’s driver location.
2. Open Tableau and create a new data source.
1. After the driver has been downloaded:
2. After you have completed the installation, you can find the Progress DataDirect Salesforce jar file.
1. Select “Sign In” and the Tableau configuration screen should now appear.