GitHub is arguably the most favorite Source Version Control software which has a cloud hosted solution as well an enterprise private hosting solution targeted to the engineering organizations of software, Web, and technology companies. There are lot of insights that can be discovered using the data in GitHub by accessing GitHub data from tools like Tableau, Tibco etc., With the Progress DataDirect GitHub JDBC connector, you can now connect to your data in GitHub as easily as you could with any JDBC driver. In this tutorial, we will walk you through how easily you can connect and access GitHub data and generate reports on it from any supported JDBC compliant reporting tool.
Before we get started on GitHub connector configuration, let’s look at supported GitHub authentication methods and how you can get the details needed for the specific authentication method you want to use.
- Progress DataDirect GitHub JDBC connector supports 2 authentication methods – Basic and OAuth2.
- For basic authentication, you will need to have Username and Password for your GitHub.
- For OAuth2 authentication,
- Go to Settings -> Developer Settings -> OAuth Apps and click on Register a new application
- Provide the OAuth application name, Homepage URL and Authorization callback URL you want to use to get the access token.
Note: For the GitHub enterprise, you need to specify a port for localhost for a successful authorization.
- Click on Register Application, on the next screen you should see the OAuth credentials. Copy the client id, client secret and authorization callback url and store them securely.