In introducing Websphere Liberty Profile (WLP), Dr. Ian Robinson, IBM Distinguished Engineer asks these three questions when choosing a tool for any kind of job:
The answers for WLP were all yes; and you should ask these same questions when choosing your JDBC driver for connectivity. Here are my answers after following the WLP tutorial and these apply to Websphere Application Server, as well as Tomcat or JBoss. Note: If you're looking for the Websphere Upgrade to SQL Server tutorial, check here.
The DataDirect SQL Server JDBC driver will get your job done without any road blocks thanks to:
We've heard from developers that they are 2x as productive with DataDirect; and can save many dev months with advanced features such as:
1 . Install Progress DataDirect SQL Server Connect for JDBC driver using the instructions in the Progress DataDirect Connect for JDBC installation Guide. You can download a free, 15-day trial of the Progress DataDirect SQL Server JDBC driver (including DB2, Oracle, Sybase, MySQL and Salesforce).
2. Install JTA support using DataDirect's patented sqljdbc.dll library that Websphere shops have been using for years for reliable transaction processing.
3. Follow tutorial for getting started with WAS Liberty Profile from IBM. Note: I used SQL Server Express 2012 and noted the exceptions for each module below to configure the DataDirect Connect for JDBC SQL Server driver.
4. Create table for ReportServer$SQLEXPRESS database in SQL Server instead of DB2 per module Module 1.2 : Create the database and Liberty server.
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ACCOUNTS](
[C_NUM] [smallint] NOT NULL,
[C_NAME] [varchar](50) NULL,
[C_MONEY] [bigint] NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT [PK_ACCOUNT] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]
5. Configure DataDirect SQL Server JDBC driver instead of DB2 in, Module 2.2 : Configure the ser`ver for DB2
Base directory is the DataDirect JDBC installation folder. In this case, I installed to C:\jdbc\Connect_for_JDBC_51.
id is ddsqlserverconnection and JNDI name*: jdbc/SQLServerConnection
Database name is ReportServer$SQLEXPRESS; Server name is locahost\SQLEXPRESS nad URL is jdbc:datadirect:sqlserver://localhost\SQLEXPRESS;AuthenticationMethod=ntlm
6. After creating new JPA Entities from Tables and select Generic JDBC for DataDirect.
Enter URL as jdbc:datadirect:sqlserver://localhost\SQLEXPRESS;AuthenticationMethod=ntlm;DatabaseName=ReportServer$SQLEXPRESS
Note: If using Windows Authentication from Unix/Linux (for example AMERICAS\SUMITS), enter your Windows Authentication user "SUMITS" without the domain and password; and then add the following properties to your deployment profile to Linux, AIX, Solaris or HP-UX:
7. Modify DBInteractions.java with the the following line for SQL Server instead of DB2:
@Resource(name = "jdbc/SQLServerConnection", type = javax.sql.DataSource.class, shareable =
8. Run the index.html per Module 6.2 : Complete and test the JPA application with DB2
Finally, if you run into any issues, here is a link to generate WLP tracing.
I had a good time! Call us at N. America: (800)876-3101 | World: +44 (0) 1-344-386-367 to learn more about DataDirect SQL Server JDBC drivers for use in the world of Websphere.
Technology researcher, thought leader and speaker working to enable enterprises to rapidly adopt new technologies that are adaptive, connected and cognitive. Sumit has been working in the data access infrastructure field for over 10 years servicing web/mobile developers, data engineers and data scientists. His primary areas of focus include cross platform app development, serverless architectures, and hybrid enterprise data management that supports open standards such as ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, GraphQL, OData/REST. He has presented dozens of technology sessions at conferences such as Dreamforce, Oracle OpenWorld, Strata Hadoop World, API World, Microstrategy World, MongoDB World, etc.
Subscribe to get all the news, info and tutorials you need to build better business apps and sites
You have the right to request deletion of your Personal Information at any time.
You can also ask us not to pass your Personal Information to third parties here: Do Not Sell My Info
Let our experts teach you how to use Sitefinity's best-in-class features to deliver compelling digital experiences.