A few weeks ago, I took part in a lively Twitter Q&A with our official Twitter feed, @ProgressSW. If you missed out on the real-time action, you can check out the discussion below. Looking forward to doing more of these and, as always, I welcome your thoughts on #scm topics, questions and issues to discuss in the future!
1. What is supply chain responsiveness? #SCM
1.1.The ability to re-sequence your supply chain in a timely fashion - where timeliness is defined by the customer demand. #SCM
2. What are the pillars of a responsive supply chain? #SCM
2.1.PDCA - Plan, Do, Check, Act. Or having a closed loop process, monitoring and taking appropriate corrective actionswhen necessary. #scm
3. How does being able to predict and react quickly to shifts in the biz environment improve org performance? #SCM
3.1.You can stay ahead of competitors and are more responsive to your clients - leading to greater market share. #SCM
4. What are the simplest and best practices we can put into place to improve supply chain responsiveness?
4.1. A couple of levels
4.2.Simplest: gain end-to-end visibility. #scm
4.3.Best: Get a clear understanding of the impacts and be able to act. #SCM
4.4.One thing that cannot be overlooked is the change management side, your people must be of the mind set of wanting to improve. #SCM
5. What advantages can businesses achieve by improving supply chain visibility? #SCM
5.1. If you cannot see it or measure it, you cannot correct it. Cliché yes, but it's the reality. #SCM
5.2. second - 5. As supply chains get more lean and extended, ability to improve visibility is paramount. #SCM
6. What risks are companies facing if they don’t focus on improving supply chain visibility? #SCM
6.1. First – Relying too heavily on historical data to drive forward means you are flying looking backwards.
6.2. W/o full visibility you're at greater risk for misplaced inventory, unmet client needs, inability to properly meet SLAs. #SCM
7. Can you give some examples of companies that have successfully improved their supply chain processes to great biz benefit? #SCM
7.1. Of course the one we all think about - #Dell and #Apple who are constantly working on gaining thru their SC #SCM
7.2. But also the likes of #BestBuy, #Panasonic and manufactures like #Jabil. #scm
8. How has the role of planning in supply chain changed over the past decade? #SCM
8.1.Planning remains a vital cog in SCM, but it’s fallen short lofty aspirations proclaimed in the late 1990s. #scm
8.2.You need a well crafted plan to provide goals and direction as well as asset need – but its only the 1st step #scm
9. How can we leverage cloud to become more responsive? #SCM
9.1. Cloud impacts all forms of biz, SC being in the middle of this - process, apps and a wide swath of data is accsble #scm
10. How can we leverage #mobility to achieve supply chain responsiveness? #SCM
Mobility is a hot topic across the enterprise and SCM – it does bring a double edge sword #SCM
10.1. 1) a valuable source of real time information (structured and unstructured) #scm
10.2. second - a decision making tool pushed further into the enterprise, empowering a greater swath of the supply chain. #scm
11.What role do flexible applications play in our ability to achieve PDCA?
11.1. Flex and composite apps allow us to gain greater visibility and an ability to act, at a lower cost of ownership. #scm
12. What are the most important trends and shifts in the supply chain environment currently, forecasts for the future? #SCM
12.1. A couple of trends - better closed loop mngmt finally tying in planning and execution – true PDCA #SCM
12.2. Second – an ability to move towards a greater centralization of command and control #SCM
12.3. Finally the infusion of unstructured and structured data. #SCM
13. What are supply chain pros struggling most with today? #SCM
13.1. Lack of other pros! Technology remains a small part of the solution; people and change management is the most important. #SCM
14. What are the key steps we can take to overcomethese obstacles? #SCM
14.1. Education Education Education - Companies must recognize the importance and value of human assets. #scm
15. Why is real-time visibility in supply chains so difficult to achieve? #SCM
15.1. Biz must recognize the value of sharing information, first within their own depts then with partners and sources. #scm
15.2. Technology is only a tool to enable change management. #scm
16. What are the top 5 handles you follow for yoursupply chain news and analysis? #SCM
16.1. @bobferrari, @rwang0, @pjtec, @lcecere, @supplychainNtwk
View all posts from Guy Courtin on the Progress blog. Connect with us about all things application development and deployment, data integration and digital business.
Subscribe to get all the news, info and tutorials you need to build better business apps and sites
Copyright © 2019 Progress Software Corporation and/or its subsidiaries or affiliates.
All Rights Reserved.
Progress, Telerik, and certain product names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Progress Software Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. See Trademarks for appropriate markings.