Create and deliver personalized experiences across digital properties at scale
Build engaging websites with intuitive web content management
Leverage a complete UI toolbox for web, mobile and desktop development
Build, protect and deploy apps across any platform and mobile device
Build mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone
Rapidly develop, manage and deploy business apps, delivered as SaaS in the cloud
Automate UI, load and performance testing for web, desktop and mobile
Host, deploy and scale Node.js, Java and .NET Core apps on premise or in the cloud
Optimize data integration with high-performance connectivity
Automate decision processes with a no-code business rules engine
Transform your businesses in order to survive in a completely digitized and connected world driven by software innovation.
Globally scale websites with innovative content management and infrastructure approaches
Content-focused web and mobile solution for empowering marketers
Faster, tailored mobile experiences for any device and data source
UX and app modernization to powerfully navigate today's digital landscape
Fuel agility with ever-ready applications, built in the cloud
Glen Daniels added a good comment on one of my last posts. Glen's point was that in a financial market everyone tries to achieve their own goals, but it's different in an enterprise - an enterprise is more like a sports team, with everyone working towards a common goal.
Sorry, Glen. I can't agree. The majority of people care most about closest to them (i.e. their health and welfare, etc.). And, sometimes this aligns with their organization (or team) - just ask any Red Sox fan whether Manny Ramirez was always acting in the best interest of the team and you'll see this is true.
Here's a business example that's more relevant: SOA goals are often long term goals. And these can often conflict with short-term goals of getting a project delivered quickly. It might be in the best interest of the organization to follow the "SOA route" and delay project delivery - but the IT team would risk being fired if they did that. So the majority of IT teams focus on the short term goals.
The way I look at it, your assumption out of the door should be that no one is aligned with your SOA goals (just like in a financial market you're acting like the market regulator). Yes, this is the paranoid approach: they are out to get you. Even if only 20% of them are out to get you (and the other 80% are with you) the problem is you usually don't know which 20% to worry about!
So, what does this mean? You should always focus on ensuring the goals of your SOA are never in conflict with other goals that people might have (e.g. short term project delivery deadlines).
View all posts from dan foody on the Progress blog. Connect with us about all things application development and deployment, data integration and digital business.
Copyright © 2016, Progress Software Corporation and/or its subsidiaries or affiliates.
All Rights Reserved.
Progress, Telerik, and certain product names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Progress Software Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. See Trademarks or appropriate markings.