As an IBM Certified Consultant for Cognos BI, I am impressed with the new Connect XE for ODBC Salesforce driver release from Progress DataDirect. And this Salesforce integration with Cognos is fully supported by IBM as an ODBC 3.5 compliant driver for BI versions 8.x and 10.x ,TM1, Transformer and Cognos Data Manager.
The preliminary steps are:
1. Assume Cognos BI Environment (v8.4.1) with Framework Manager and BI server are installed on Windows.
2 . Install Progress DataDirect Connect XE for ODBC Salesforce using the instructions in the Installation Guide. Download free 15-day trial to test-connect to Salesforce today.
3. From ODBC Administrator, setup ODBC data source named “Salesforce” to the Salesforce.com cloud. For sandbox accounts, change Host Name to "test.salesforce.com".
Security Token can be requested from Salesforce.com, or the Salesforce administrator can configure Salesforce Web Services to accept the IP address of your system.
4. Launch IBM Cognos Administration and configure "New Data Source" in IBM Cognos Administration as type "ODBC".
5. Connect to Salesforce System DSN using user id and password to connect to Salesforce. Note if domain for e-mail address of Salesforce user was configured in security tab of ODBC configuration, it is not required in the User ID field.
6. Launch Framework Manager and create new project using Metadata Wizard.
7. Select objects from Salesforce.com that you want to import into the Metadata Model.
8. Select defaults when creating relationships between selected table objects.
Now you can start building your metadata models and presentation layers for your BI report developers!!
From my experience, Cognos administrators held a negative perception about using ODBC because native drivers can be slow and challenging to configure. However, Progress DataDirect has been changing this perception over time by introducing the storied Connect for ODBC drivers to Cognos shops one at a time.
Call us today at 1-800-876-3101 and read more about Salesforce Integration with Cognos BI.
Technology researcher, thought leader and speaker working to enable enterprises to rapidly adopt new technologies that are adaptive, connected and cognitive. Sumit has been working in the data access infrastructure field for over 10 years servicing web/mobile developers, data engineers and data scientists. His primary areas of focus include cross platform app development, serverless architectures, and hybrid enterprise data management that supports open standards such as ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, GraphQL, OData/REST. He has presented dozens of technology sessions at conferences such as Dreamforce, Oracle OpenWorld, Strata Hadoop World, API World, Microstrategy World, MongoDB World, etc.
Subscribe to get all the news, info and tutorials you need to build better business apps and sites
You have the right to request deletion of your Personal Information at any time.
You can also ask us not to pass your Personal Information to third parties here: Do Not Sell My Info
Copyright © 2020 Progress Software Corporation and/or its subsidiaries or affiliates.All Rights Reserved.
Progress, Telerik, Ipswitch, and certain product names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Progress Software Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. See Trademarks for appropriate markings.