Build, protect and deploy apps across any platform and mobile device
Leverage a complete UI toolbox for web, mobile and desktop development
Automate UI, load and performance testing for web, desktop and mobile
Rapidly develop, manage and deploy business apps, delivered as SaaS in the cloud
Build mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone
Optimize data integration with high-performance connectivity
Connect to any cloud or on-premise data source using a standard interface
Build engaging multi-channel web and digital experiences with intuitive web content management
Automate decision processes with a no-code business rules engine
As an IBM Certified Consultant for Cognos BI, I am impressed with the new Connect XE for ODBC Salesforce driver release from Progress DataDirect. And this Salesforce integration with Cognos is fully supported by IBM as an ODBC 3.5 compliant driver for BI versions 8.x and 10.x ,TM1, Transformer and Cognos Data Manager.
The preliminary steps are:
1. Assume Cognos BI Environment (v8.4.1) with Framework Manager and BI server are installed on Windows.
2 . Install Progress DataDirect Connect XE for ODBC Salesforce using the instructions in the Installation Guide. Download free 15-day trial to test-connect to Salesforce today.
3. From ODBC Administrator, setup ODBC data source named “Salesforce” to the Salesforce.com cloud. For sandbox accounts, change Host Name to "test.salesforce.com".
Security Token can be requested from Salesforce.com, or the Salesforce administrator can configure Salesforce Web Services to accept the IP address of your system.
4. Launch IBM Cognos Administration and configure "New Data Source" in IBM Cognos Administration as type "ODBC".
5. Connect to Salesforce System DSN using user id and password to connect to Salesforce. Note if domain for e-mail address of Salesforce user was configured in security tab of ODBC configuration, it is not required in the User ID field.
6. Launch Framework Manager and create new project using Metadata Wizard.
7. Select objects from Salesforce.com that you want to import into the Metadata Model.
8. Select defaults when creating relationships between selected table objects.
Now you can start building your metadata models and presentation layers for your BI report developers!!
From my experience, Cognos administrators held a negative perception about using ODBC because native drivers can be slow and challenging to configure. However, Progress DataDirect has been changing this perception over time by introducing the storied Connect for ODBC drivers to Cognos shops one at a time.
Call us today at 1-800-876-3101 and read more about Salesforce Integration with Cognos BI.
Sumit Sarkar is a Chief Data Evangelist at Progress, with over 10 years experience working in the data connectivity field. The world's leading consultant on open data standards connectivity with cloud data, Sumit's interests include performance tuning of the data access layer for which he has developed a patent pending technology for its analysis; business intelligence and data warehousing for SaaS platforms; and data connectivity for aPaaS environments, with a focus on standards such as ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET and ODATA. He is an IBM Certified Consultant for IBM Cognos Business Intelligence and TDWI member. He has presented sessions on data connectivity at various conferences including Dreamforce, Oracle OpenWorld, Strata Hadoop, MongoDB World and SAP Analytics and Business Objects Conference, among many others.
Copyright © 2017, Progress Software Corporation and/or its subsidiaries or affiliates.
All Rights Reserved.
Progress, Telerik, and certain product names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Progress Software Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. See Trademarks or appropriate markings.