The SQL Server Integration Service (SSIS) is an ETL (Extract Transform and Load) Tool from Microsoft for building enterprise-level data integration and transformation solutions.
It can be used for basic data integration and workflow applications but also can be used to perform broad data migration tasks. It features a data warehousing tool used for data extraction, transformation, and loading.
This tutorial assumes that you have ODBC drivers installed and a data source configured. If you have not yet done these steps, please follow these instructions. Ensure that Microsoft Visual Studio and ODBC Driver architecture matches. For example, if you have a 64-Bit Microsoft Visual Studio installed then you need to have the 64-Bit version of Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers installed. But most likely, your visual studio would be a 32-bit version and you would need a 32-bit driver.
1. Download and install the Progress DataDirect ODBC driver using the 15-day trial software. In this tutorial, we are connecting to Oracle Database.
2. Configure a data source for your database. See the DataDirect documentation for assistance with setting up your data source. You will learn how to configure an Oracle Data source in the following steps.
1. After the DataDirect Oracle ODBC driver has been installed, open ODBC Administrator to configure the connection and click on “Add”.
2. Choose the “DataDirect X.X Oracle Wire Protocol” and click on “Finish.”
3. The ODBC Oracle Wire Protocol Driver Setup window will pop up.
Enter your credentials, click on “Apply” and then click on “Test Connect.”
4. The Oracle Logon screen will pop up. Provide logon credentials and click on “OK.”
5. A dialog box will confirm that the connection is established.
1. Open Microsoft Visual Studio. You need to create a new SSIS project by going to File → New → Project shown in the below picture: -
2. A new window will appear, inside that select Integration Service Project (If not appearing, left side of the window go to Templates → Business Intelligence → Integration Services) as shown in the below picture: -