Automatic segment discovery
Sitefinity Insight automatically generates segments based on your visitors’ activity. Sitefinity Insight tracks the content your visitors use, discovers overlapping interests and similar intent and behavior patterns of your visitors, and synthesizes segments based on these interests. These segments provide additional insights into your audience and its interests and may reveal unexpected connections which manually created segments may miss, thus helping you better understand, model, and target your audience.
Segment discovery report
PREREQUISITES: The automatic segment discovery is available only to customers with paid subscriptions. To upgrade, contact Sitefinity Sales.
To view the automatically discovered segments, in Sitefinity Insight, navigate to Analytics » Segment discovery page. The Segment discovery report opens, containing a list of automatically created segments. For each segment, you can see the following information:
- The automatically created name of the segment, such as Segment 1.
- The absolute number of visitors belonging to the segment and its ratio to all visitors, which were segmented.
- A word cloud containing the most common topics that Sitefinity Insight used to generate the segment.
You use the word cloud to find whether this automatically generated segment is significant to your marketing goals.
To get more details for the segment, click its Segment details link.
The Segment details screen opens.
- The automatic segment discovery reports are updated on a bi-weekly schedule.
In the upper-right corner of the screen, you can see the dates of the last and next update.
- You may see an empty report before the first run of the data processing logic inside Sitefinity Insight cloud. If this happens, wait up to 24 hours and the report will become available.
- To have at least one segment discovered, the data center must have at least 50 active visitors with at least 8 interactions each.
- The report is created using only the data from the last 6 months.
- The report is not updated, if your data center has reached your account's data quota. The calculation resumes when the account is back under their quota.
Segment details screen
On this screen, you see the complete information about a particular auto-discovered segment.
In the upper part of the report, you see the following general statistics:
- The absolute number of visitors belonging to the segment.
- The number of contacts belonging to the segment.
If you click View contacts, the Contacts section in the report opens.
- The ratio of visitors belonging to the segment to the number of all visitors in percent.
- The ratio of contacts belonging to the number of all visitors in percent.
In this section, you can see the words that contributed to defining the segment. You use the word cloud to find whether this automatically generated segment is significant to your marketing goals.
In the dropdown, you can filter between the following:
- Words from either content of visited pages or titles of visited pages
- Words from categories and tags of visited pages
These are defined in Sitefinity CMS.
Sitefinity Insight uses the content of visited pages only when you have enabled the option to send the content of pages and content items in Sitefinity CMS.
For more information, see Collect data through the connector » Content analysis data.
Otherwise, only information for the titles of visited pages is used.
RECOMMENDATION: We recommend enabling content analysis, because this, in turn, enables advanced AI-driven features, such as content recommending, and improves automatic segment discovery.
You can fine-tune the algorithm that discovers the segments. To do this, click Exclude words.
For more information, see Topics.
By default, the words are presented in a word cloud. If you click the list button, you can see the words as a sortable list with information about the relative weight of each word. This weight abstracts the relevance of the word or phrase to the overall context and the frequency of visits to pages containing the word.
Below the topics word cloud, you find the following tabs.
NOTE: The information in the following tabs reflects the state when the report was generated. If any artifact, such as personas or touchpoints, have changed after the report has been generated, the change would not be reflected until the next time the report is updated. You can see the date when the report has been generated and when it will be updated in the upper right corner of the screen.
A list of the most often visited pages by visitors belonging to this segment.
For each page, you can see:
- The page’s title
- The page’s URL
To navigate to the page, click the URL.
- Total page views by visitors belonging to this segment
- Unique page views by visitors belonging to this segment
All contacts that belong to this segment.
You can export the list of contacts if you want to use them in a workflow in another system, for example - Eloqua. To do this, click Export contacts.
PREREQUISITES: To export contacts data, your account must have permission to work with personally identifiable information. For more information, see Manage Personally identifiable information.
In this table, you see the personas which the visitors from this segment belong to.
The following information is available:
Displays the name of the persona. To see the detailed persona report, click the persona name.
- Visitors in this segment
The absolute number of visitors in this segment that match this persona and the ratio to the number of all visitors in the segment.
- Contacts in this segment
The absolute number of contacts in this segment that match this persona.
In the Touchpoints table, you can see the touchpoints, which were hit by visitors belonging to this segment.
For each touchpoint you can see the following information:
- Touchpoint name
To see the detailed Touchpoint report, click the touchpoint name.
- Total hits for this persona
The number of hits by visitors in this segment and the number of hits by all visitors.
Under Conversions, you see all the visitors that have conversions for this segment.
For each conversion, you see the total and unique conversions for this segment, compared to the total number of conversions of this type of conversion.
The last column displays the number of contacts that converted to this conversion.
For more information about total vs unique conversions, see Visitors and conversions.