Following my presentation at Dreamforce, several shops shared their excitement about the unique analytics and data discovery enabled by DataDirect ODBC and JDBC access to SaaS. In an ideal world, self service minded analysts have always wished for direct access to LIVE data. Most of us gave up on this dream and accept that fetching live data is taboo. But, that dream is reborn with the introduction of the DataDirect Connect XE for ODBC Salesforce driver - direct real-time connectivity from standards based applications such as Spotfire to SaaS data.
I was able to complete this tutorial in 15 minutes last week waiting for my flight at Boston Logan. Tibco Spotfire versions (including Silver Publisher and Analyst) support any ODBC compliant data source, and therefore the DataDirect drivers are fully supported. Spotfire's Application Data Services is not required for this tutorial.
1. Download and install the 15 day trial of the latest 32-bit or 64-bit DataDirect Connect XE for ODBC Salesforce driver for Microsoft Windows which supports the latest Salesforce.com API versions.
2. Create an ODBC data source to Salesforce.com. Here is a great video by Jeff Leinbach to create the data source.
3. Configure Salesforce ODBC data source and click configure and go to the “SQL Engine” tab and change SQL Engine Mode to “1- Server”.
Click Edit Server Settings and click “Start” button to launch the Salesforce Service. The button label will change to “Stop” meaning the service has started.
4. Launch Tibco Spotfire 5.x
5. Add Data Tables and select "Odbc data provider"
6. Connect using your personal Salesforce.com login and view your objects and fields to construct a SQL-92 statement. Note that I used a SUBSTRING function, and INNER JOIN syntax between ACCOUNT and OPPORTUNITIES since the ODBC driver supports SQL-92.
7. Quickly build visualizations against the data and you can perform a real-time reload at anytime. I had a lot of fun with the 3D scatter plot!
The reason we all love standards based SQL access is that everyone can access the data. Other SaaS solutions provide ODBC drivers such as NetSuite, Microsoft Dynamics, Service Now, Plex Online, etc. Or for direct SQL access from Tibco Spotfire to sources such as Aprimo, Eloqua, SugarCRM, RightNow,Success Factors, Taleo, ADP. Intaact, Concur we encourage you to check out the recently announced DataDirect Cloud.
Post a blog comment or call 1-800-876-3101 to speak with a live Solutions Consultant to learn how other organizations are making progress with direct real-time SQL access to Salesforce from Tibco Spotfire.
Technology researcher, thought leader and speaker working to enable enterprises to rapidly adopt new technologies that are adaptive, connected and cognitive. Sumit has been working in the data access infrastructure field for over 10 years servicing web/mobile developers, data engineers and data scientists. His primary areas of focus include cross platform app development, serverless architectures, and hybrid enterprise data management that supports open standards such as ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, GraphQL, OData/REST. He has presented dozens of technology sessions at conferences such as Dreamforce, Oracle OpenWorld, Strata Hadoop World, API World, Microstrategy World, MongoDB World, etc.
Subscribe to get all the news, info and tutorials you need to build better business apps and sites
You have the right to request deletion of your Personal Information at any time.
You can also ask us not to pass your Personal Information to third parties here: Do Not Sell My Info
Copyright © 2020 Progress Software Corporation and/or its subsidiaries or affiliates.All Rights Reserved.
Progress, Telerik, Ipswitch, and certain product names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Progress Software Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. See Trademarks for appropriate markings.