Last update: Friday, August 1, 2014
We at Progress Software Corporation ("Progress Software" or "we") are constantly striving to provide excellent service to you, our customers and business partners, while building a long-lasting relationship with you. To achieve these goals, we occasionally need information about you when you visit our sites.
This policy covers how Progress Software collects, uses and protects the information we gather through your use of the Progress Software Websites (defined below) and in connection with off-line communications. Specifically, Progress Software may collect this information from offline and online registrations and forms, communications and interactions, and sales inquiries and transactions. We also may use third party sources, such as opt-in lists. Please note that this policy may still apply if you elect private browsing.
No matter how Progress Software comes to have your information, we want you to know that we respect the privacy of your information and that you should be aware of how we handle it.
Links to Other Sites
This policy covers the information practices of our websites that link to this policy, which includes but is not limited to: www.progress.com and https://community.progress.com, as well as all international domains and subdomains (collectively referred to as "Progress Software Websites")
Our Commitment to Your Privacy
Progress Software does not:
- Sell the names and addresses of our customers and/or site users to outside vendors.
Progress Software does:
- Safeguard customers' information from unauthorized access.
- Collect, maintain and use customer information as necessary to provide the most helpful and targeted products and services to meet customers’ needs (e.g. customer care or new products or services).
- Honor customers' requests to remove their names from our telephone or mail solicitation lists in a timely manner. Just Contact Us.
- Maintain confidentiality of customer information when undertaking projects with other companies.
Information Gathered and Tracked by Progress Software
Organizational and Personal Information You Knowingly Give Us.
Within our Progress Software Websites, you may be asked to give us personal or organizational information in order to purchase or receive information about a product or service. We may collect this information through different methods, including:
Registration Forms. We encourage all visitors to register with Progress Software, although registration is not required, except for access to our premium content areas. The registration forms require users to give us accurate contact information (like name and email address) and references that help us better serve you. Your name and email address may be used to send you information about our company, product updates, special offers, and newsletters. To opt out of receiving communications from Progress Software, please Contact Us.
Order Forms and Enrollment Forms. Our order forms securely collect visitor’s contact information and financial information (like your credit card number and other billing information). Contact information on the order form is used for order fulfillment and may be shared with our Partners or Resellers if that is necessary to fulfill your request. The information that we require in our order form is only used to process your order quickly and accurately. Your contact information will only be used to send you the product that you purchase and your billing information will only be used to bill you for that product. During the purchasing process, you may be given the opportunity to sign up for future e-mailings regarding our products, services, and promotions. If you sign up, we will share your contact information with other Progress Software partner companies only, not with other outside companies.
You may also be given the option of registering a profile with us which would store your name, purchase history, and billing information to make it easier for you to shop and purchase products/services from us in the future. You may opt out of this feature at any time by changing/canceling your profile online.
Progress Software may collect other information, including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Contact information, such as name, physical address, telephone number(s), email address, and company. The majority of the information collected under this category is business contact information and when this information is collected in forms on our Progress Software Websites, it is collected and/or transmitted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
- Transactional information, including information about the products and services you purchase or download or about which you make an inquiry.
- User preferences, such as product requirements, areas of industry interest, newsletters, community choices and other information you select in the customer profile when registering on Progress Software Websites or indicated by your use of the Progress Software Websites.
- Financial/credit card and payment information. Please see the “How Progress Software Uses and Shares This Information” section for more information.
- Event and conference participation information, such as lectures, classes or booths attended or visited during an event or conference hosted or attended by Progress Software. If we use electronic tracking technologies at an event, we will provide notice in the event registration materials and/or correspondence.
- Other information which may include, but is not limited to, browser and device information, data collected through automated electronic interactions, application usage data, demographic information, geographic or geo-location information, statistical and aggregated information. Statistical or aggregated information does not directly identify a specific person, but it may be derived from personal information. For example, we may aggregate personal information to calculate the percentage of users in a particular zip code.
We may also supplement information you provide with information received from third parties.
Information Gathered through Electronic Protocols.
Statistics and Information Collected as You Browse Progress Software Websites
As you browse our Progress Software Websites, Progress Software’s Web servers collect information about your visit, not about you personally. Via Web server logs, we monitor statistics such as:
- How many people visit our Progress Software Websites.
- Which pages people visit on our Progress Software Websites.
- From which domains our visitors come (e.g., "yahoo.com" or "aol.com").
- Which browsers people use to visit our Progress Software Websites.
While we gather this type of information, none of it is associated with you as an individual. We use these statistics to improve our Progress Software Websites, to monitor their performance, and to make it easier for you and other visitors to use the sites.
Our Progress Software Websites also log Host Names (or IP addresses when the Host Name is not available) for systems administration and security purposes. These logs are monitored and analyzed to maintain systems and information security and allow us to constantly improve the value and the availability of the Web content.
A cookie is a small, encrypted data string our server writes to your hard drive that contains your unique User ID. Cookies on the Progress Software Websites may collect a unique identifier, user preferences and profile information and membership information. Progress Software’s server will query your browser to see if there are “cookies” previously set by the Progress Software Websites.
A cookie cannot be used to access or otherwise compromise the data on your hard drive. While we do not offer an opt-out for cookies, browsers provide you information and control over cookies. You can set your browser to alert you when a cookie is being used, and accept or reject the cookie. You can also set your browser to refuse all cookies or accept only cookies returned to the originating servers. You can generally disable the cookie feature on your browser without affecting your ability to use the site, except in some cases where cookies are used as an essential security feature necessary for transaction completion and might be required to complete certain functions on our Progress Software Websites.
We may use flash cookies, also known as “local shared objects”, on our Progress Software Websites that employ Flash technology. Flash cookies are small files similar to browser cookies and are used to remember the site’s settings to personalize the look and feel of the site. Like normal cookies, Flash cookies are represented as small files on your computer.
We also use a tracking technique that employs embedded URLs to allow use of the site without cookies. Embedded URLs allow limited information to follow you as you navigate the site, but is not associated with personal information and is not used beyond the session.
On our Progress Software Websites, we may use embedded pixel technologies on selected pages for the purposes of identifying unique user visits to the Progress Software Websites as opposed to aggregate hits. In addition, embedded pixels or other technologies may be used in emails to provide information on when the email was opened to track marketing campaign responsiveness; information collected using these technologies may be associated with the recipient's email address.
Third Party Cookies
Progress Software has engaged one or more third party service providers to track and analyze usage and volume statistical information from visitors to the Progress Software Websites, as well as to optimize and serve ads based on your past visits to our Progress Software Websites. The service provider(s) set cookies on behalf of Progress Software. One such service provider is Google Analytics. We both use Display Advertising and Remarketing with Google Analytics. As a result of these cookies, third party vendors, including Google, will show our ads on sites across the Internet. You may opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising or customize Google Display Network ads by using the Ads Preferences Manager on Google's website.
How Progress Software Uses and Shares This Information
The information you submit may be used or shared with third parties for any of the following purposes:
- To engage in transactions. We may use personal information such as name, physical address, telephone number, email address, and company to engage in transactions with you, including contacting you about your order.
- To process transactions. We may use financial/credit card and payment information to process your order. Personally identifiable information that is needed in order to issue an invoice is stored on Progress Software Web servers in a commercially reasonable manner designed to safeguard against unauthorized access. We have put in place the appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We do not store unnecessary information about you or for an unnecessary length of time. We may need to share some of this information with delivery services, credit card clearing houses and other third parties to complete the transaction. If we use an automated process to collect your credit card information, we may share this information with a third party vendor specifically selected for its superior practice, in which case we do not retain a copy of that information on our servers.
- To provide support or other services. We may use your personal information to provide you support or other services you have ordered, as well as product updates, product patches and fixes and other similar communications.
- To tailor marketing to your needs and respond to your requests. We may use your personal information to notify you about new product releases and service developments, to respond directly to your requests for information, or pass your contact information to the appropriate Progress Software distributor or reseller for further follow-up related to your interests.
- To post testimonials. We post testimonials on our Progress Software Websites which may contain personal information. Prior to posting the testimonial, we obtain the customer's consent to post their name along with their testimonial.
- To communicate with you about a conference or event. We or our partners may communicate with you about a conference or event hosted or co-sponsored by Progress Software or one of our partners. This may include information about the event’s content, event logistics, payment, updates, and any additional meetings, special demonstrations or other customer facilitation that we may provide related to an event for which you have registered. We may contact you after the event about the event and related products and services and may share information about your attendance with your company.
- To comply with legal requirements. Progress Software may be required to disclose your personal information in order to comply with legally mandated reporting, disclosure or other legal process requirements. We will use reasonable efforts to limit the personal information it provides for these purposes.
The security of your personal information is very important to Progress Software. We have in place physical, administrative and technical safeguards designed to protect your personal information from unauthorized access. In addition, Progress Software uses standard security protocols and mechanisms to exchange the transmission of sensitive data such as credit card details. When you enter sensitive information such as your credit card number on our site, we encrypt it using secure socket layer (SSL) technology.
In the event that your personal information is acquired, or is reasonably believed to have been acquired, by an unauthorized person and applicable law requires notification, we will notify you of the breach by email, fax, or U.S. mail. We will give you notice promptly, consistent with the reasonable needs of law enforcement and/or Progress Software to determine the scope of the breach and to investigate and restore the integrity of the data system.
We use third parties to assist you if you have questions while using our sites, teleconference services to provide you with webinars and demos, and a service provider to host and provide our content. When you sign up to receive any of these services, we will share your personal information only as necessary with the third party solely for the purpose of providing that service. In addition, we may use a specialized third party for our subscription billing platform.
We provide the information to our trusted distribution partners who work on behalf of or with Progress Software under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your information to help Progress Software communicate with you about offers from Progress Software and our partners. These companies do not have any independent right to share this information. If you would like to opt out of having your information shared with these third parties you may Contact Us, but please note that opting out may preclude you from licensing certain products due to our point of sale processes.
Commitment to Children's Online Privacy
Progress Software Websites are not directed at children. Progress Software does not knowingly accept online personal information from children under the age of 18. If you are under 18 or otherwise would be required to have parent or guardian consent to share information with Progress Software, you should not send any information about yourself to us.
Cross Border Transfers
We are a corporation with operations worldwide, and have developed global data practices designed to assure your personal information is appropriately protected. Please note that your personal information may be transferred, accessed and stored globally as necessary for the uses stated above in accordance with this policy. By using the Progress Software Websites, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
We ask that you not send us, and you not share any sensitive personal information (e.g., information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership).
Opt-out Policy and Procedure
Our Progress Software Websites provide users with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us (and our partners) at the point where we request information about you. In addition, from within the www.progress.com subscription center (http://forms.progress.com/forms/SubscriptionMgt-English), you can unsubscribe to the various communication offerings at any time, by deselecting the vehicles you do not wish to receive or by opting-out of all e-communications. Please note that opting-out of all communications will suppress every piece of electronic information from Progress Software and is not restricted to only the communications listed on the subscription center page. Additionally, anyone who wishes to remove their information from our database to not receive future communications or to no longer receive our service can Contact Us.
Some non-marketing communications are not subject to general opt-out, such as communications related to product download, sales transactions, software updates and other support related information, patches and fixes, quality assurance surveys, conferences or events for which you have registered, and disclosures to comply with legal requirements, as well as communications with partners, including product alerts, updates, marketing and sales materials and other notices related to partner status.
If you have any privacy concerns or would like to correct and/or update your information, please Contact Us.
While the majority of questions and issues related to access can be handled quickly, complex requests may take more research and time. In such cases, issues will be addressed, or you will be contacted regarding the nature of the problem and appropriate next steps, within thirty days.
Changes to Policy