Customize the email notification for password change
Users sometimes forget their password, or just feel compelled to change it. You can enable Sitefinity CMS functionality that lets users change their password. As a result, you can customize the email template that is sent as notification to users who click the Forgot your password? link.
Enable email notification with link for changing the password
You must enable the password reset functionality of Sitefinity CMS, so that when a user requests their password, a new password is generated and is sent to them. Then, you link the Login widget to the Change password widget, so that the user can their password without the need to reset it first. To do this:
- In Sitefinity CMS backend, click Administration » Settings » Advanced.
- Click Security » Membership providers » Default » Parameters.
- Click enablePasswordReset.
In the Value field, enter true. Click Save changes.
- Click requiresQuestionAndAnswer.
In the Value field, enter false. Click Save changes.
- Recycle your application pool for the changes to take effect.
- Go to Pages and create a page.
- Drag and drop the Login widget and save your changes.
- Click the Edit button of the Login widget and perform the following:
- In the ChangePasswordPageUrl input field, enter the URL of the page where the Change password widget is located.
- In ShowLostPaswordLink, enter true
- Click Save.
- Publish the page.
As a result, when a user attempts login to your website, the Forgot your password? link appears. After clicking the link, the user enters the email address he/she used when registering. The system sends an email, containing a link to the page where the Change password widget is located.
Customize the email template body
You can further customize the email template by changing the actual text in the email body.
By default, the body of the email has the following HTML content:
To change the email body:
- Navigate to Administration » Labels and Messages
- Click the LostPasswordEmailBody label and edit it.
- Save your changes.
EXAMPLE: Following is an example of customized mail body: