Document and file libraries
You display and manage all created libraries on Documents & Files page.
The Documents & Files page displays the number of documents or files in each library, the number of child libraries, the date of the last uploaded document or file, and where those documents and files are stored.
Display and edit the documents and files in a library
You can display all documents, files, and sub-libraries in a library in one of the following ways:
- On Documents & Files page, click the library whose documents and files you want to display.
All documents and files in the library appear.
- On Documents & Files page, click (Browse documents) to open the quick view menu in the right side of page and then click the library with the documents you want to display.
To edit the documents or the files in the library, perform the procedure in Document properties.
To go back to all documents and files, click All documents link above the documents where the path of the library is displayed or in the main menu in the upper part of the screen, click Content » Documents & Files.
Create a document and file library
- On Documents & Files page, click Create a library button in the toolbar.
The Create a library page appears.
- Enter a name for the library.
- Under Put this library… (for all translations) choose where to create the library.
Select one of the following:
- On top level
This is a root library.
- Under parent library…
A list with existing libraries appears.
Select a library to be the parent of the library you are creating.
NOTE: If the library you are creating is located in another library, it has the same settings as its parent. You can only set cache options, storage providers, and resizing options for a root library, located at top level.
- If you create a parent library, you can also select the storage provider. For more information, see Configure storage providers for libraries.
Supported files and file icons
In the document and file library, you can upload any file format.
The following file formats have dedicated icons that are automatically displayed in the backend and on the frontend together with each file:
.ace, .css, .wmv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .avi, .mp4, .ogg, .wma, .wav, .mp3, .ppsx, .pps, .ppt, .pptx, .rar, .csv, .jpeg, .xlsx, .docx, .html, .png, .gif, .jpg, .zip, .xls, .txt, .rtf, .doc, .pdf
To filter what file formats can be uploaded to your website, perform the following:
- Navigate to Administration » Advanced » Libraries » Documents.
- In Allowed file extensions input field, enter the allowed file extensions in a comma separated string. For example, .pdf, .docx, .PPT, .TXT
- Set Enable extension filtering property to be enabled by entering True in the input field.
- Click Save changes.
Edit document and file libraries
- To edit the library properties, on Documents & Files page expand the Actions button of the library you want to edit.
- From the dropdown box, click Library properties.
The Library properties page opens.
- You can update the following library properties:
- The name of the library
- The description of the library
- The URL of the library
NOTE: If you change the URL of the library, Sitefinity CMS will change the URLs of the items one by one. In case of external storage, changing the library URL may cause data transfer from one storage to another. In case of failure, some of the items might keep their previous URLs and some of the items will have the updated URLs. You can try to resume to get the rest of the items relocated.
- Change whether this is a root library (on top level) and set a parent library for child libraries
Set the maximum size for libraries and documents
Set the caching options for the library
Select a storage provider for the library
You can trigger the process to change the blob storage provider of a library, which moves all items in a different storage. For example, an image library kept in the database can be moved to the cloud.
- Include or exclude a top-level library from site search
If you change the default setting that allows site search to index a root library, the content of the library will not be indexed and will be excluded from the search results. For the change to take effect, you must reindex the search index that contains this library.
Click Save changes.
The system returns you to Documents & Files page.
Change the parent library of a documents and files library
Once created, a library can be moved together with all of its content to another library, by changing its parent library.
To do this, perform the following:
- Expand the Actions button of the library that you want to move and from the dropdown, select Move to another library
The Move to another library dialog appears.
- Select the new parent library and click Move.
To reorder the documents in a library, perform the following:
- Expand the Actions button of the library you want to reorder.
- Click Reorder documents.
- Drag and drop documents to reorder them.
- Click Save changes.
Delete document and file libraries
To delete a library, perform one of the following:
- On Documents & Files page, select one or more libraries you want to delete and click Delete button in the toolbar.
- On Documents & Files page, expand the Actions button of the library you want to delete and then click Delete.
- On Edit a library page, click More actions » Delete.
A dialog box opens where you must confirm the deletion.