Create custom classifications
In addition to Tags and Categories, you can create custom classifications. You can create either simple or hierarchical lists. For example, you can create a custom classification Price range that is simple list and Location classification, which is a hierarchical list of regions, where each region contains a list of countries.
Use a custom classification with content items
To classify a content item with a custom classification, you must add the classification as a custom field of a content item or as a custom filed of the product type. Make sure to enter the same name in the custom field as the name of the classification. For more information, see Custom fields.
Finally, when you create or edit a content item or product, you must select the custom classification.
To use custom classification to filter content items or products on the website, you must use the Categories widget or the Tags widget widget.
You manage custom classifications on the Classifications page.
To open the Classifications page, in the main menu in the upper part of the screen, click Content » All classifications.
The Classifications page appears, displaying a list of all created build-in and custom classifications together with actions you can perform on them.
Create a custom classification
To create a custom classification, perform the following:
- Open the Classifications page, by clicking Content » All classifications.
- Click Create a classification.
- Enter the name of the classification.
For example, Dress codes
- In Single item name, enter the name of a single item in this classification.
- Choose the Type of the classification, by selecting Flat or Hierarchical.
- To change the name that is used in code to refer to that classification, click (Edit) button and add a new name.
- When finished, click Create.
The classification appears on Classification page and the system takes you to create your first item from this classification. For more information, see procedure Create single classification items below.
Edit custom classifications
Perform the following:
- Navigate to Content » All classifications.
The Classifications page appears, listing all existing classifications.
NOTE: You cannot edit or delete the predefined classifications Tags and Categories.
- Expand the ACTIONS of the respective classification and from the dropdown box, click Properties.
- You can edit the name of the classification and its single items name.
- By expanding the Advanced options section, you can enter a description for the classification.
NOTE: You cannot change the type of the classification.
- When finished editing, click Save changes.
Create single classification items
When you have created the classification, you can start creating the items. They can be flat items, like the tags, or hierarchical, like categories.
Perform the following:
- To create a single item in a classification, open the classification by clicking it on Classifications page.
- Click Create a <name of single item>.
For example, click Create a Dress code, to be able to create a dress code, such as Casual.
- Enter the name of the classification item.
For example, enter Casual
- Optionally, you can change the default URL of the tag by clicking (Edit) button and entering the preferred URL.
- If you are creating a hierarchical item, select one of the following:
- On top level
- Under parent
Choose the parent of the item.
- Click Create.
Edit a single classification item
To edit a classification item, open the classification, which the item belongs to, by clicking it on Classification page.
In the list of classification items, click the item you want to edit.
You can edit or enter the following:
- To change the name of the item, overwrite the existing one.
- To edit the URL of the tag, click (Edit), change the URL, and press
- You can change the parent of the item, in case you are editing a hierarchical item.
- In the Advanced options section, you can do the following:
- Add a Description for the item.
- Enter Synonyms for the classification item, so that you can filter content items by the its synonyms.
- When you are finished, click Save changes.
Reorder hierarchical items
If you are working with a hierarchical type of classification, you can reorder the items or change their parent, using drag-and-drop.
- To reorder items, open the classification, which the items belong to, by clicking it on Classification page.
- In the toolbar, click Reorder.
- User drag-and-drop.
- Click Save changes.
Browse all classifications
When you have created many custom classifications, you have the option to quickly browse them.
You do this by clicking (Browse classifications) button in the toolbar.
The right pane expands and displays a list off all created classifications. The list is sorted by classification type - flat or hierarchical. You can click the items in the list to navigate to them.