: Before you upgrade your Sitefinity CMS, ensure the following:
- You have backed up your project and its database.
- You are familiar with the API changes for the Sitefinity CMS release you are upgrading to. For more information, see API breaking changes in Sitefinity CMS.
- You have upgraded your Microsoft .NET framework to the respective version.
For more information, see Reference: Sitefinity CMS and .NET framework compatibility.
- Your project is not located in a folder that has any special characters in the name, such as
~\Program Files (x86).
You must use the following upgrade paths, depending on your current Sitefinity CMS version:
- If your project is on Sitefinity CMS 8.0 and above, you must use NuGet package to upgrade.
By updating the version of
Telerik.Sitefinity.All package, you upgrade all Sitefinity CMS related packages in your projects.
As of Sitefinity CMS version 11.0 NuGet takes care of updating the project references and applying the necessary web.config changes automatically. If upgrading to version prior to 11.0 you must take care of these changes manually.
- If your project in on Sitefinity CMS 7.3 or below, you must use the Project Manager to upgrade it to Sitefinity CMS 8.0, then upgrade it to 8.1 and above using the NuGet package.
The Project Manager adds the new assemblies to the bin folder, and also offers the option to automatically upgrade your
web.config file and assembly references.
RECOMMENDATION: We recommend that you always upgrade to the latest version.
However, you may want to upgrade to any other version. For example, you may want to upgrade from Sitefinity CMS 5.2 to 8.1.
For more information, see Reference: Upgrade to lower than the latest version of Sitefinity CMS.
Depending on your current Sitefinity CMS version, use one of the following upgrade procedures: