Create and manage links
The Insert a link toolset enables you to place a link in your content to external and internal content. You can, for example, reference an external website or direct readers to an email address. In addition, you can link to any page or content within your website, for example, to an Events page, or to a particular News item. You can configure additional data for the link, such as display text, query parameters, tooltip, link style, anchor, and more attributes.
Once you insert a link, Sitefinity CMS displays whether the link directs to a URL, email address, page within the site, or certain content item, for example, a document.
When linking to a particular content type, Sitefinity CMS uses dynamic links, so that in case you move the News widget, for example, the link to the news item still redirects to the proper content.
Insert a link
- To insert a link, open the contextual toolbar and click the Create a link icon.
The Insert a link dialog appears.
- In the Link to… field, enter a URL or email address. Alternatively, to link to a page or specific content item from your website:
- Click Select page or content.
- Under Site, if working in a multisite environment, select from which site to link content to by clicking (Edit). Also, if your content is multilingual, select the desired culture by clicking (Edit).
- Under Content type, select the type of content to link to.
You can choose from all predefined content types, apart from content blocks, as well as the custom types you created in the Module builder.
- Select the specific page or content item to link to, for example, Summer events page.
You can narrow down the list of results by typing.
- Click Use selected.
- Next, enter the link text that is displayed to visitors of your site, for example, Events this summer.
- Optionally, to open the linked page or content item in a new window, select the respective checkbox.
- Under More options, you can optionally configure additional settings:
- Add URL query parameters, for example search=FAQ&mobile=true
- Create an anchor to a specific section in the page or content to link to. For example, enter FAQ.
- Enter a tooltip text to be displayed upon hovering over the link, for example, Summer events schedule.
NOTE: You can also set a tooltip for a hyperlink to a website or a hyperlink to an anchor in the text.
In Link style dropdown box, you can select a specific style for displaying the link, provided you have configured any link styles via Basic settings » Backend interface settings.
For example, you may set a style to display the link as button. For more information, see Link styles section in Backend interface settings.
Set additional attributes for the link, such as custom attributes.
For example, you may want to modify the
- Click Insert link.
NOTE: Before inserting the link, you can always go back to the Link to… field and edit the link or choose other content to link to.
Edit and delete links
To change or modify the properties of a link, click on it and choose the Edit link icon. You can change the website or content, to which the link redirects, or any other link property.
To delete a link and its formatting, use one of the following alternatives:
- Place the cursor on a link and click the Remove link button from the contextual toolset
- Click on the link in the toolset and then choose the Remove link icon
- Select the link text and use the CTRL+SHIFT+K combination on the keyboard