File and folder management
The File manager displays the hierarchical structure of folders and files in your project. You use it to create, copy, move, upload, download, rename, and delete files and folders.
Access the File manager
To open the File Manager, in Sitefinity CMS backend, navigate to Administration » File manager.
The Files page opens. The left side of the page is a treeview of the project's folders, and the right side lists the contents of the selected folder.
NOTE: For security reasons, the File manager opens in read-only mode and with a predefined whitelist of file types.
Configure the File manager
- Turn on and off read-only mode
To enable or disable the read-only mode, add a custom entry in the
web.config, under section appSettings with the following key
sf:fileExplorer:isReadOnly and a value of either
- To configure whether the file types whitelist is enabled or disabled, as well as which files are included you must edit the FilesPanel widget properties on the backend page.
EnableCopy - enables or disables copying files
EnableFileTypeWhitelist - enables or disables the file types whitelist
AllowedFileTypes - specifies the file types that will be viewable. The default value is *.txt,*.config,*.log,*.lic
- Configure the file upload maximum size limit
By default, the File manager supports uploading files not larger than 200 MB. To configure custom maximum file upload size, navigate to Administration » Settings » Advanced » System » FilesModule and modify the
MaxFileSize property. The
MaxFileSize property value must be specified in bytes and the default value is 204800 bytes.
To upload a file, perform the following:
- Click Upload button in the toolbar of Files page.
The Upload dialog box appears.
- Enter the name with the file extension and the path of the file or click Select button to browse and select the file.
To remove an already selected file, click Remove.
NOTE: The default file size limit is 200 MB.
- To upload more files, click Add button.
The system adds another row for uploading a file.
- To specify if you want to overwrite an existing file with the same name, select Overwrite if file exists? checkbox.
- When you are finished, click Upload.
To download a file, perform the following:
- Select the checkbox of the file and click Download.
The File Download dialog box appears.
- Choose whether you want to save the file or open it.
NOTE: If you have not selected a specific file for downloading, when you click Download, all the content of the displayed folder is downloaded.
Copy, create, and delete files or folders
- To copy and paste a file to another folder, select one or more files, click Copy, open the folder where you want to paste it, and click Paste.
If you have not selected any files, the system copies and pastes the entire folder, which you have selected, together with its content.
- To delete a file, select it and click Delete button.
A dialog box appears, asking you to confirm the deletion.
If you have not selected any files, the system deletes the entire folder, which you have selected, together with its content.
- To create a new folder, select the parent folder and choose New Folder.
- To navigate from the selected folder to its parent folder, click Folder Up.