Create and edit user groups
User groups allow you to group different user accounts and let them log into, manage, or change the content only to a group of sites that are relevant to them. User groups governs what sites a particular user account can work with, while the permissions governs which resources are available within these sites.
You can create a user group while you are creating a new site or editing an existing one. Afterwards, you can manage the users of the groups from the Users page.
PREREQUISITES: To use user groups, you must first enable this feature. For more information, see Enable user groups.
Create user groups
To create a user group, without creating a site perform the following:
- In the upper-left corner of the page, click the dropdown button, and then choose Manage sites link.
- Click Create a site.
- In Name, enter a dummy name.
- Enter a dummy domain of the site.
- Click Continue.
- Click Change user group » Create user group.
The Create user group dialog appears.
- Enter the name of the group.
- Click Create.
- Click Done.
- To exit the procedure, click Cancel.
The user group that you created is saved.
NOTE: This procedure creates user groups only. If you want to create your site, follow procedure Create sites.
Manage the users of a user groups
To manage the users that belong to a user group, navigate to Administration » Users.
The Users page appears.
When User groups are enabled, the Users page shows only the user groups that are used in the current site. If you want to manage the users of another group, in the top-left dropdown box, switch to a site that uses the required user group.
To add or delete users of the selected user group, follow procedure Create and delete users.
Move users to another user group
PREREQUISITES: To move users, you must have at least two user groups.
- You cannot move user accounts that belong to LDAP provider or an ASP.NET custom membership provider.
- You cannot move an account, if the target user group already contains an account with the same email.
Perform the following:
- Select the users to move.
- To move a single user, click its Actions menu, then click Move to another user group.
- To move multiple users, select them and click More actions » Move to another user group.
The Select a user group window appears.
- Select the group where you want to move the users.
- Click Move.