Sync a single content item or page
: To be able to sync a single item or page, make sure:
- You have activated and configured the SiteSync module.
- You have permissions to Sync pages and content items (located under Administration » Permissions » SiteSync)
In addition to syncing the entire site or elements of it using the SiteSync module, you can sync only a single items or pages from the grid or publish and sync them after having edited an item or page.
This feature gives you the option to immediately sync small changes, such as typos, without having to perform a sync of the entire modules or sites. For regular syncs, use the SiteSync module.
NOTE: You can sync only items or pages that you are allowed to publish. For example, if there is an active workflow and you only have the option to send an item for approval, you do not have the option to sync the item.
When you want to sync a single item or page, the system also automatically syncs the following dependent structures and content:
- If you reorder a page, the new page structure is also synced.
For example, if you move one page under another and then sync it, using Publish and Sync, the parent page is synced as a dependency of the child page.
- If the item or page has related data or related media items, they are also synced.
- If you change the permissions of an item or page and then sync it, the permissions are synced, if you have configured the SiteSync module to sync permissions.
- If on the page that you want to sync, you have a single media widget – Image, Video, or Document widget, the changes to these widgets are automatically sync, when you sync the page, using Publish and Sync.
- If on the page that you want to sync, you have added or edited an image in the text of any other widget, for example a code block, this image is automatically synced in the Images module of the target server.
IMPORTANT: If you made changes the template of a page that you want to sync, the template will not be synced, because it can affect other pages. In this case, you cannot use the single item sync. You can sync these changes using the SiteSync module.
To sync a single item, perform the following:
- Navigate to the item or page that you want to sync.
You can sync a single item or page in one of the following ways:
- From the Actions menu in the backed page of the module.
For example, if you want to sync a single News item, navigate to the News page and expand the Actions menu.
- From the More Options menu when you are editing an item.
For example, if you want to sync an Event while you are editing its text, expand the More Options menu.
- Click Publish and Sync.
Your item is automatically published before the sync is performed by the system.
- Confirm the sync.
After you click Publish and Sync, a confirmation screen appears.
The confirmation screen displays information about the dependencies that the item has. For example, if the item has a related image, it will also be synced.
If you have configured the SiteSync with more than one target servers, a dropdown box appears on the confirmation screen where you must choose the target server where you want to sync the item.
NOTE: If you want to sync the item to more than one server, you need to perform the procedure for each of the desired servers.
- Click Sync changes.
This will automatically publish the item and then sync it to the selected server. A confirmation message is displayed in the grid or in detailed view
Syncing and workflows
If the item that you want to sync is not on the final level of a workflow, you do not have the option to Publish and Sync it. You see this option in the following cases:
- One level of approval workflow – you can sync items that are in status Awaiting approval and Published.
- Two levels of approval workflow – you can sync items that are in status Awaiting publishing and Published.
- Three levels of approval workflow – you can sync items that are in status Awaiting publishing and Published.
- No approval workflow – you can sync single items that are in status Draft, Unpublished, or Published.
Sync status and sync history
After syncing a single item or page to a target server, the system allows you to view the status of this operation. For all the versions of an item, you can see which have been sync, when, and with which target server.
You can see this in the revision history of an item or page. For each version of an item, you have the sync information, including timestamp, sync status, and target server. If the column is empty, the item has never been synced.
The following screenshot demonstrates the sync history of a page: