Sort, search, and export contacts
To see a list of all contacts, open the Contacts page. By default, contacts most recently identified and tracked by the system are listed on top. Contacts list information includes:
- Contact email
- The persona this contact is most similar to
- The lead scoring type(s) to which the contact has scored points
You have several options to sort the contacts list. For each option you choose whether to order results in ascending or descending order. The sorting options are:
- Most recent
Sort according to when contacts were tracked and added to the database.
Sort alphabetically by email address.
- Lead scoring type(s)
Sort by points accumulated towards the lead scoring type you choose.
Sort by persona points accumulated.
- Became a contact
Filter contacts based on when they first provided an email. You can choose the time period - predefined or custom - when the visitor became a known contact.
First visit and Last visit
Filter contacts based on the time of their first or last interaction, respectively. You can choose the time period - predefined or custom - when the visit occurred. For example, filter all contacts whose last visit was in the last 6 months, so that you can target them with relevant content.
- Any other custom contact property you defined, for example Job title.
For more information, see Configure contact properties.
Apart from using a contact's email as search criteria, you can use the Advanced search option. Using one or more search criteria, you can make more complex filtering combinations to narrow down your search results to the type of contacts you need. Search results display a summary of search criteria and the number of contacts (out of all contacts) that match these criteria.
You define each advanced search criterion using one of the following options.
Search by behavior
- Select the lead scoring type the contacts must be associated with.
- Select the lead scoring stage the contacts must have reached.
Optionally, enter custom score that is not predefined by lead scoring stages.
- Choose the time period in which scored lead points.
Optionally, enter a custom date range.
- Select the persona you want to use as search criterion.
- Choose one of the matching criterion for contacts and personas:
- Contacts must fully match persona definition
- Contacts are similar to this persona
Enter a range of scored points or percentage of similarity to this persona that contacts must have.
- Select the campaign to which contacts must be associated.
- Choose which contacts to display:
- Engaged and then converted
- Converted in total
- All targeted
Choose for which campaign status to display contacts:
- Select the touchpoint that the contacts must have hit.
- Choose when the contacts hit the touchpoint.
Optionally, enter a custom time range.
- Select the conversion that contacts must have accomplished.
- Choose when the contacts completed the conversion event.
Optionally, enter a custom time range.
Search by personal data
Personal data includes all personal information each contact profile contains, for example, Last name or Company.
Simply select the type of personal data to use as search criterion and then the clarification condition for the text field:
- Contains – contains any of the specified text
- Does not contain - does not contain the specified text
- Exact match – exactly the specified text
- Starts with – starts with exactly the specified text
- Ends with – ends with exactly the specified string text
Complex search conditions
Advanced search can use just one search criterion, like the ones above, or much more complex. You can add a number of filtering conditions and create custom combinations of conditions. You can choose whether all, any, or a custom combination of conditions needs to be met to reflect the search criteria.
NOTE: You can define custom combination of conditions only if you add more than two conditions.
NOTE: If you select Campaign as search criteria, you cannot make filtering combination with Lead scoring and Personas.
To combine more than two conditions, you use a syntax with the condition indexes (A, B, C, and so on), connected by “and” and “or” and grouped logically by parentheses, so that when using:
- “and” - all conditions connected with an "and" must be satisfied
- “or” - at least one of the conditions connected with an "or" must be satisfied
Take a look at the following conditions and their meaning:
- (A or B) and C – condition C and at least one of the conditions A or B must be satisfied for the goal to be accomplished
- A or (B and C) – both conditions B and C must be satisfied or condition A must be satisfied for the goal to be accomplished
You can also use nested parentheses for even more complex conditions.
In the complex condition above, to be listed in the search results, contacts need to either:
- Fully match the DA QA Persona definition
- Scored between 100 and 200 points for any scoring type AND live in a country that contains the "States" text in its name
Once you get search results with exactly the contacts you need, you can export these contacts (or the whole contacts database, for that matter) to a CSV file. You can use the exported list of contacts for workflows in other systems, for example, or to create campaigns or personalized content for these contacts. Apart from name and email address of contacts, the CSV file contains information about filter criteria you used, for example, personas associated to the contacts in the list.
NOTE: When your contact search filter includes conversions or touchpoints, the exported CSV file contains timestamps when each contact hit a specific touchpoint or accomplished a conversion that was used in the filter.
Note that if the search results list is too long, the CSV file may also be bigger and processing the file may take several minutes. You can opt to receive an email notification once the file is processed, containing a link to the CSV file.
To export contacts:
- On the search results page, click the Export results button.
You see a summary of the search results criteria and conditions.
NOTE: If processing the file takes too much time, enter our email to get notification once the file is processed.
- To display a list with the contacts matching the search criteria, click the Show results button.
- To export results, click the Download CSV file button.