Move the database connection string in the web.config file
By default, Sitefinity CMS stores the connection string to the database in the DataConfig.config file, located in folder ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/. You can move the connection string to the web.config file, if this is required.
To do this, perform the following:
- Open the DataConfig.config file and copy and delete the <connectionStrings> section, which contains the connection string.
- Save and close the DataConfig.config file.
- Open your web.config file and paste the copied section inside section <configuration>, after the </configSections> tag.
- Delete the dbType attribute, because it is not supported in the web.config.
- Add a parameter Backend inside the connection string.
- Save and close the web.config file.
: The following are examples of connection strings:
- Connection string section in the DataConfig.config:
Connection string section in the web.config:
NOTE: If you have connection strings with the same name in the DataConfig.config and in the web.config files, the one in the DataConfig.config file will be ignored.