Subscribe to published comments submitted for news items
The Sitefinity CMS API enables you to configure email subscription for comments published for all new items.
First, you must enable email subscription in Sitefinity's backend. Next, you configure your email subscription settings.
- In Sitefinity's backend, navigate to Administration » Settings » Advanced » CommentsModule » Commentable types » Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model.NewsItem.
- Select the Enable email subscription checkbox.
- In Visual Studio, open your Sitefinity CMS project.
- If you do not have a Global.asax file, create a new Global.asax file added to your project. In the context menu of your project, click Add » New Item… » Visual C# » Web » Global Application Class.
- To configure email subscription, copy and paste the following code in the Sitefinity Bootstrapper.Bootstrapped event that you cna subscribe to in your Global.asax file:
NOTE: Make sure enter a valid value for the subscriberEmail variable.
The CommentService exposes the Subscribe method with SubscriptionData as an argument where you can specify the type of comment thread. The comment thread type can be any string.
After you configure email subscription, an email is sent to the
specified email address every time a comment is published on any news
item in Sitefinity.
You can optionally subscribe to comments that reflect your custom criteria. To do this:
- Drag and drop a Comments widget on a page.
- In the widget's Edit mode, click Advanced.
- In the ThreadType field, enter a name, for example MyCustomType.
As a result, every comment published in this Comments widget triggers email notifications for threads of type MyCustomType.