Inherit the built-in base class
In Sitefinity CMS, you can create your widgets as standard ASP.NET custom controls or you can derive them from one of the built-in base classes - SimpleView and SimpleScriptView. They provide you with additional features, which, for example, are not available in the WebControl class. You can also take advantage of Kendo UI widgets by using the KendoView class. To do this, you must add a reference to the Telerik.Sitefinity.dll in your widget project. You do this in the following way:
- From the context menu of your project, click Add Reference...
- In the dialog select the Browse tab.
- The Telerik.Sitefinity assembly is located in the bin folder of your Sitefinity CMS project. Select it and click OK.
- Open your widget’s .cs file and resolve the necessary namespaces.
- Modify the class definition.
You must also override the InitializeControls abstract method and the LayoutTemplatePath.