Create page templates
Generally, you operate with the page template(s) that are based on the default layout file. You modify the default template or create new templates, based on it.
When creating a new project, by default, the selected framework is MVC. You can also work in hybrid mode. For both modes, you do not have to start creating a new template from scratch. You can use the default templates that contain a single placeholder and then modify it further. Once you select a template and its framework, if you require to base the template on another template in a later point in time, you can select just from the list with templates from the same framework, thus avoiding any shortcomings from switching framework.
If required by your scenario, you still have the option to work with Web Forms templates by configuring which frameworks page templates use. To do this, navigate to Advanced settings » Pages section and set the Page templates framework to All.
Create page templates based on existing templates
To create a template based on another template:
- In the main menu of your website backend, click Design » Page Templates.
- Click Create a Template.
- In Name input field, enter a name for your template.
- Select Use template and click Select another Template.
Click on a template, which will serve as basis for your new template.
- Click Done.
- Click Create this template.
Your new template opens in the Layout editor, where you can divide and reorder the blocks as you desire.
When creating a page template based on another template, keep in mind the following:
- Changes of a template are applied to its child template.
- You cannot edit the parent template while editing the child template.
- If you delete a template, all of its child templates and all pages that uses this template will also be deleted.
Next, you modify the template according to design. For more information, see Modify page templates.