Translate an existing page
Siteifntiy CMS enables you to create multiple language versions of your website. You can create a translation for your pages in any language you have enabled for your site, and customize the page properties, for example change the title, URL, and so on. When you create a translation of a page, Sitefinity CMS automatically serves website visitors the content of that page in the currently selected language, if a translation is available.
To translate a Sitefinity CMS page, perform the following procedure:
- You create a new language translation of an existing page in one of the following ways:
- On the Pages screen, click on the respective language icon.
- Open the page in page editing mode and in the upper-left corner of the page, click the language icon and select the desired language from the list.
- On Pages screen, click on the Filter icon , located next to the Create a page button. From the Filter pages sidebar, use the Languages dropdown and select the desired language. The Pages screen displays the sitemap for this language version of the site. Click the name of the page, which you want to translate.
The name of the page appears inactive, to show that the page has no translation in the selected language.
- Perform the steps from procedure Create a page and modify its properties (Step 4 and onward), populating only the relevant fields.
- When you create a translation of an existing page, on the Page title and properties screen you must select one of the following options:
NOTE: When you create a translation of an existing page, the system does not display the Template section. You do not select a layout at this step, but at Step 5 of the current procedure, where you must choose whether you want to use the current template of the page or design a new one, just for this translation.
- Click Save changes
- Use the page editing mode to customize the layout of the page, add content by adding widgets, and apply themes.
For more information, see Design a layout template, Add widgets on pages and templates, and Apply a template to a page.
NOTE: If your pages are synchronized, any modifications to the layout or the widgets are applied to all existing language translations of the page.
When you choose to display content items that have different translations, the translation displayed depends on the page translation, which you are working with.
For example, if you have added the News widget to a German translation of a page, the widget displays only the news items that have German translation. If for the items, you have chosen, no German translation exists, nothing is displayed.
- When you are finished editing, perform procedure Set the status of new pages and content items.