From a modern user experience to cost savings and more, here are the top five reasons to upgrade to OpenEdge 11.7 today.
From enhanced security, to cost-effectiveness, to a modern user experience and more, there are many great reasons to upgrade to the latest version of OpenEdge. If your application is running on version 10.2B or earlier, here’s the top five reasons to upgrade to OpenEdge 11.7 today.
- Upgrading to Modern Technology REDUCES Maintenance Costs
Studies have shown that over 70% of an organization’s technology budget is dedicated to maintaining aging systems. If you or your customers are still running on OpenEdge 8.0 - 10.2B, you may find that it remains reliable and therefore seems cost-effective. However, in today’s digital economy, investing in modern technology such as OpenEdge 11.7 reduces overall maintenance costs, ensures the stability of an updated platform, increases productivity and drives strategic success.
- An Intuitive User Experience Matters
Information accessibility drives business, and an intuitive experience through mobile and web drives the success of today’s mission-critical applications.
Generation Fifth Applications—a Progress Application Partner—is transforming the UI of its Library Archival System (LAS), used by customers such as the Library of Congress and Harvard University to archive and manage millions of historical artifacts, books, films and other documents. The ease-of-use and pre-built visual components of Kendo UI Builder made it simple and quick to deliver a seamless experience across all screens and browsers—and one that could be tailored to the needs of individual libraries.
- Solving Top Data Management Challenges
Effective data management has become exponentially more difficult in the past decade, and the vast growth of databases and subsequent dependency on data continues to accelerate at a rapid pace. The OpenEdge 11 release offers solutions for key data management challenges including:
- Table Partitioning—to divide and conquer your vast data stores into manageable units
- Multi-tenancy—to keep databases separate and secure in the SaaS/Cloud environment
- Change Data Capture—to avoid data inaccuracies by tracking and saving all data changes in the OpenEdge RDBMS and facilitating simplified data extraction for synchronization of data sources
- OpenEdge Replication—to meet the extreme pressure to deliver an always-on application environment. With new OpenEdge 11.7 features you’ll gain online maintenance capabilities such as the ability to add a table, field and index online which increases operational efficiencies, while also eliminating a single point of failure in a disaster situation.
- OpenEdge Management—to provide proactive monitoring to help IT stay ahead of any failures
- OpenEdge Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)—to keep data at rest secure and guard against the security breaches, which are increasing at a rate of 10% a year in the Small-to-Midsized Business (SMB) market alone.
With our bundled offering—the OpenEdge RDBMS Advance Enterprise Edition (AEE)—it’s easier and more cost-effective to move to the latest platform and continue to remain current with each new release of OpenEdge.
- Protection of Assets
In 2016, 60% of security breaches occurred within SMB. As technology advances and enhanced government regulations such as the GDPR create more stringent requirements for data usage and protection, organizations must be sure to modernize security technology. It’s necessary to fortify the application environment and minimize the risk and costs incurred by noncompliance and loss of trust. Hackers continue to become more and more sophisticated. Stopping malicious intent requires you to have an application environment that leverages current security technologies and standards—fundamental enhancements available when you upgrade to OpenEdge 11.7.
Today OpenEdge offers the Progress Application Server for OpenEdge that not only helps create a pathway to modernizing your applications, but is built on top of Tomcat which utilizes Spring Security, a powerful and highly customizable authentication and access control framework. In addition to other industry-standard authentication models like Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) and SSL/TLS communication, OpenEdge11.7 helps you thwart bad actors through a secure token service (STS) that confirms user legitimacy and protects from malicious data manipulation through the new OpenEdge Authentication Gateway.
- Help @ Your Fingertips
If you have an active maintenance contract, upgrading to leverage the enhancements offered in OpenEdge 11.7 is free. However, we understand that shedding the burden of legacy technology isn’t always easy. The experts from Progress Services can help you create your application modernization strategy, while optimizing existing technology.
Learn More and Try it Today
Customers rely on OpenEdge to be the most innovative, reliable, and affordable application development platform in the industry. With our latest release—OpenEdge 11.7—you can build, scale and protect mission-critical business applications that are flexible enough to continuously evolve with the business. Contact us to learn more about OpenEdge 11.7 today! Or test it out for yourself with our 60-day eval
Tanya O’Connor is the product marketing manager for Progress OpenEdge. She has over 15+ years of marketing strategy, channel and communications experience in the application development market.