Automatic segment discovery
Sitefinity Insight generates segments based on your visitors’ activity. This helps you to better understand, model, and target your audience. For more information, see Automatic segment discovery.
You use the Topics tab to modify the behavior of the algorithm. You do this by specifying a list of words or phrases that you can exclude from segment discovery. These can be words that can occur frequently but may not be relevant to your domain or goals. For example, on the www.progress.com website the word Progress is the company name and should be excluded from the segment discovery process to improve the relevancy of the generated segments.
Sitefinity Insight automatically initializes this list with words or phrases that occur very often and appear in multiple segments. Thus, the exclusion list may already be populated with excluded words.
The Persona report offers you a topic list of the most popular words from resources used by visitors belonging to the persona. You can filter this topic list to exclude words which are irrelevant.
Exclude words or phrases from reports
Perform the following:
- Log into Sitefinity Insight.
- Navigate to Administration » Data centers.
- Click the name of the data center that you want to manage.
- Click the Topics tab.
- In Exclude words from topics lists, enter the words or phrases that you want to be excluded from the Persona and Segment discovery reports.
- Click Save.
NOTE: You may need to wait up to 24 hours for the changes in the exclusion list to be reflected in the persona and the automatic segment discovery reports.
When creating exclusion filter rules, keep in mind the following:
- Sitefinity Insight supports only rules consisting of one or two words.
If you attempt to enter more than two words, Sitefinity Insights warns you and does not accept such rule.
- If you enter a one-word rule, Sitefinity Insights filters out only entries consisting of this exact word. Entries consisting of two words, one of which you have excluded are accepted.
For example, if you enter a rule Marketing,
Marketing specialist will be accepted
- If you enter two one-word rules, Sitefinity Insight filters out entries consisting of both words.
For example, if you enter Marketing and Specialist as two separate rules,
Marketing specialist will be filtered out.
- If you enter a two-words rule, Sitefinity Insight filters out entries consisting of these specific two words but accepts the individual words.
For example, if you enter the single rule Marketing specialist, entries containing
Marketing specialist will be filtered out, but entries containing only
Specialist will be accepted.