Import data from a CSV file
When working with multiple sources of data, you usually are dealing with files and records that you need to use in your marketing reports and campaigns to analyze a comprehensive set of data. With Sitefinity Insight, you can easily import contact and interaction data by uploading CSV files. You can create the CSV files from any data file, for example, Excel file or a text file.
You can import data:
- Collected by third-party companies or systems
- Regular imports of data
For example, your company may be using third-party software for conducting webinars. To communicate with the participants, the software company provides you with an Excel sheet with email addresses, other contact details, and participation details for all registered participants.
- One time data import
For example, you purchased a collection of 10 000 leads relevant to your business. Data is provided to you in a text file. You need to easily import leads’ information into your marketing system.
- Data you manually collected
For example, you participated in an event where you networked with other people that may well be leads and opportunities for your company. You need to reflect their contact details in your system and use them in your marketing reports and campaigns.
NOTE: You can also import data directly from a third-party server. For more information, see Data sources and data.
PREREQUISITES: The data in the CSV file must have specific format. For more information, see CSV file format.
To upload data from a CSV file, perform the following:
- Navigate to your data center dashboard and open the Data integration tab.
- Click Connect to a data source » Import CSV file.
- Click Select a CSV file.
During the upload, the Verifying… prompt appears, and Sitefinity Insight validates the file you are importing. If the CSV import file is valid, no errors or warnings are displayed.
- Click Continue.
The Select data source window appears.
- Select a data source for the data.
- To create a new data source, click New data source.
- To select from labels you have already used, click Existing data source, and select it from the dropdown box.
For more information, see Data sources for importing CSV files.
- If any warnings are found, a Warning message appears explaining the issues found with the CSV file.
Review the data and decide whether to fix or ignore them.
- To finalize the import process, click Import data.
RESULT: The data is imported, and the Data centers administration dashboard appears.