Widgets: Add content and functionality to pages
Content and functionality of Sitefinity CMS pages are defined through widgets. Anything you want your page to do, you must do it with a widget. Widgets allow you to display the content you create and configure how you want your content displayed. Sitefinity CMS comes with a set of built-in widgets, which can be directly used in the pages you create. Such widgets are, for example, the News, Image gallery, and Video gallery.
Widgets are controls which you drop on the page (in page content editing mode) and configure them to display already existing content. You can configure the widgets to display different parts of the content by combining widgets and by tagging and classifying content.
Technically speaking, the concept for a Sitefinity CMS widget is the same as the one for an ASP.NET control.
Set widget properties
Widgets have properties that you set per widget and that modify the functionality of the particular widget. If you want to display blog posts using the Blog posts widget, you need to tell the widget which blog to use, how many posts to display on one page, and how to display them. You configure a widget through its widget designer, that is, in the Edit mode of widgets.
Change the appearance
With widget templates you can change the look of the build-in Sitefinity CMS widgets – Blog posts, News, Events, Generic content, Images, Videos, etc.
Customize and create
Apart from Sitefinity built-in widgets, you can also create your own widgets and use them side by side with the default ones. That is, implement new widget to specifically serve your business case needs and functionality requirements by implementing your own custom logic. You can create new custom and user widgets.
You can customize the following types of widgets:
- Built-in Sitefinity CMS widgets, such as Blog posts and News, Field widgets, and Sitefinity CMS specific widgets
- ASP.NET standard widgets, such as HyperLink, GridView, XmlDataSource
- User widgets
- Custom widgets
- Custom module widgets, such as user or custom widgets, which are registered in Sitefinity CMS by the module to provide frontend functionality for the module.
- Telerik RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX
- Telerik RadControls for Silverlight
- Telerik RadControls for Silverlight by properly wrapping them in an ASP.NET widget
You can also use Sitefinity CMS Thunder to create and customize widgets. For more information, see Sitefinity CMS Thunder: Automate your development.