Product Guidance & Troubleshooting
Providing explanations & guidance of:
- Standard product functionality
- Supported Configurations
- Best practices for product usage
- product capabilities
- Knowledgebase Articles
Diagnosing/troubleshooting warnings, errors and exceptions within Progress products or customer code made with Progress products
- Checking product configurations
- Analyzing WhatsUp logs
- Narrowing down the cause to product or out of the box configuration
Product Defects & Enhancement Requests
- Diagnosing and reporting bugs that appear to be in WhatsUp Gold
- Suggest workarounds for product defects where possible
- Providing guidance on how to access new releases
- Providing guidance on how to request in product Enhancements
Product, Compatibility & Version information
- Providing clarification of platform compatibility
- Suggesting specific Progress products to accomplish specific goals
The Network Management Tech Support team can suggest remote sessions for the purpose of observing the reported behavior on the customer's environment. These sessions are initiated by the Tech Support Engineer applying best judgment into determining the best approach for progressing the case through resolution.
WhatsUp Gold technical support is available for all accounts with an active service agreement during local business hours, which are specified in the purchase agreement, unless Extended After Hours Emergency support has been purchased. Some legacy license plans may not have access to phone support. If your license does not currently include Phone Assistance, please contact our Sales Team to discuss upgrade/renewal options
What is Not Covered
- Providing Direct Access to Development Staff
- Modifications made to shipped WhatsUp Gold product including but not limited to files, code, database schema or scripts
- Support for assets with an expired service agreement
For areas that fall outside the scope of Technical Support, we recommend that you consult with your sales representative about our Professional Services offerings.
Below are items explicitly defined as outside the scope of support. However, if something is not explicitly mentioned in either the "What is Covered" or "What is Not Covered" sections, it is assumed to be not covered. Ask your Support Engineer or a Support Manager to clarify as needed.
Updates and Implementations Provided By Professional Services Or Sources Other Than What Was Installed With the Product
WhatsUp Gold Technical Support provides support (based on the What Is Covered section) for what is installed with the product (3rd party products excluded) and default configurations for SQL Express, IIS, and accounts used to access WhatsUp Gold. In the course of developing a work around to a specific customer issue, Technical Support may provide recommended changes to address those issues. The fixes or changes are provided with no guarantee they will work in future versions of the product. Any configuration that was not setup with the installation of the product is out of scope and is therefore not supported by WhatsUp Gold Technical Support.
Network Management support services do not include auditing of your Installation/configuration for any purpose (recommendations, etc)
Custom Implementation for Client Requirements
- Providing custom implementation
- Implementing a solution using customer-written code or applications
- Custom updates and implementations in areas which fall outside the scope of Technical Support, we recommend that you consult with our Sales team to discuss our Professional Services offerings.
Product Install and Upgrades
Network Management support service does not include the installation and upgrades of client products. We support break-fix installation and post-upgrade issues and in doing so, may request the client’s original database, logs and other system information in order to investigate any problems. The knowledge of the end user operating systems, network infrastructure, installed applications, and any security mechanism installed is required by the end user to complete any installations or upgrades. Support services are available for any break fix issues that arise as a result of installations and upgrades of our products. Support for non-break-fix scenarios are not covered in the Network Management Support scope of support. If would like installation services for non break-fix scenarios, please contact your sales representative about the installation services that are available from our Professional Services team.
Network Management support service does not include migrating legacy WhatsUp installations. The knowledge of the end user operating systems, network infrastructure, installed applications, and any security mechanism installed is required by the end user to complete any migrations. We may provide migration assistance in the form of guidance on best practices, sharing available resources, or helping resolve post-migration break-fix issues related to the WhatsUp Gold installation(s). If would like migration services for non break-fix scenarios, please contact your sales representative about the migration services that are available from our Professional Services team.
Performance Tuning of WhatsUp Gold installation or Running Performance Analysis
- Analyzing customer Installation and implementation for performance improvements
- Tuning the performance of a WhatsUp Gold installation including IIS and SQL Server.
Refactoring & Debugging Custom Code
Network Management support will not perform general debugging of any custom code or custom scripting within WhatsUp Gold or related products including use of the WhatsUp Gold API.
Debugging Environmental Issues
- Client issues related to environments which are not set up according to our official documentation are considered outside of the scope of support. We may propose our best practices, approaches, and offer clients advice based upon general knowledge, however additional assistance falls outside the scope of support. This includes configuration of SQL server, IIS, the Windows environment (Windows KBs, Hotfixes, patches), 3rd party applications including security suites(anti-virus) and network settings.
- WhatsUp Gold Technical support does not provide support for circumventing safeguards E.g. Bypassing security mechanisms that may be inhibiting the installation or function of WhatsUpGold. Security mechanisms might include but are not be limited to credentials, network policies, endpoint security, GPOs, Data Loss Prevention (DLP) etc..
General Environment & Networking Tasks
- Disaster recovery planning
- Overall environment architecture planning
- Proactive monitoring of the customer environment
- SQL server health checks, optimization, log review or configuration
- Administrating, configuring or debugging the customer’s system, network or network devices
Third-Party Product Support
- Recommending, assessing or troubleshooting third-party products or products not installed as part of the standard configuration of WhatsUp Gold.
- Supporting files or contributions not created by the installation of WhatsUp Gold, or supporting files from 3rd parties, Communities or Professional Service
- WhatsUp Gold technical support does not provide training outside of the Product Guidance & Troubleshooting section listed under “What is Covered”. Please contact your sale representative for more information about training.
Support for Trial/Evaluation Licenses
Technical support during product evaluation is provided by our pre-sales engineers. We encourage you to contact your sales representative, who can then put you in contact with a pre-sales engineer, to answer any questions you may have prior to purchasing the product.
The information provided on this and related page(s) is intended to outline Progress’ general Network Management support services and WhatsUp Gold product features. It is intended for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon when making any purchasing decision. The devices that are supported by WhatsUp Gold are specified in our release notes and our product documentation. This information is subject to change without notice. Please see the WhatsUpGold End User License Agreement for details, limitations and exclusions.