Developing a Progress OpenEdge ABL Application
This course is for developers who will be developing ABL applications or integrating ABL applications in their enterprise applications
Product Version: Progress OpenEdge 11.6 or later
Duration: Equivalent to 32 hours of instructor-led training
SAdvanced Business Language (ABL) is Progress Software Corporation’s proprietary language designed for developing business applications. It is a high-level language that supports procedural, dynamic, and object-oriented programming. In this course you will learn how to develop an OpenEdge application using Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge. You will learn how to incrementally develop an application that utilizes OERA design principles and how to write code using recognized best practices.
This course is available as Instructor-Led Training
and online with a subscription to the Progress Education Community
What you will learn
After completing this course you should be able to:
- Prepare your environment for developing a Progress OpenEdge application.
- Develop ABL code using traditional procedural programming.
- Develop object-oriented ABL code using classes.
- Develop the business logic of your ABL application to include Business Entities.
- Write application code to work with various ABL data types.
- Write application code to control execution logic.
- Run Business Entities in an AppServer.
- Develop the Data Access and Data Source layers that use a Progress OpenEdge database.
- Write application code to handle errors in your application.
- Write application code to use database triggers, transactions and locking with a Progress OpenEdge Database.
- Test an OpenEdge ABL application using the Pacific Application Server for OpenEdge.
You should already be able to:
- Describe the process architecture of an OpenEdge application
- Describe OERA
- Create workspaces and projects in Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge
- Develop applications in a high-level programming language