We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Software Engineer for our OpenEdge group in Bedford, MA office.JOB SUMMARY:
The OpenEdge Development team currently has openings for a Software Engineer I in their Language group. Customers leverage OpenEdge to build world-class, robust business applications deployed in on-premise, multi-tier environments as well as SaaS and Cloud deployments. The Language team is responsible for the OpenEdge Advanced Business Language, a procedural and object-oriented programming language with built-in transaction support that is tightly integrated with the OpenEdge database as well as numerous industry standard components. In this position you will have opportunities to contribute to all aspects of software development as part of an agile scrum team. WHAT YOU’LL DO IN THIS ROLE:
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE, WE NEED SOMEONE WHO HAS:
- Participate in all aspects of the software life cycle (design, development, test & maintenance).
- Work on the creation and maintenance the OpenEdge Advanced Business Language (including the preprocessor, compiler, and runtime engine) under the guidance of senior members of the team.
- Add features which improve the language’s security, availability, performance and capabilities.
- Work in a dynamic agile environment involving multiple technologies.
- Contribute in debugging, troubleshooting, fixing and testing defects.
- Measure, validate, and ensure that our software meets the functional, quality, and performance requirements our customers rely on.
- Write technical specifications and test plans, as well as review those written by other team members.
- Create automated tests and track tests looking for regressions.
Additional consideration points if you have the following (though these listed skills are not required to be considered for this role):
- A BS/BA degree in Computer Science or equivalent foundational experience
- Academic or practical project experience in software system design and testing
- Knowledge of data structures and operating systems internals
- Strong problem analysis and solving skills.
- Familiarity with all aspects of the development cycle: specification writing and review, designing, coding, unit testing, regression testing, and debugging.
- Experience with software development tools (source control, IDEs, testing frameworks, etc.) and both the Windows and Unix/Linux operating systems.
- The ability to wear multiple hats and be highly motivated and quality conscious with a strong attention to detail.
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly, work independently, and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with others in a diverse, team-focused environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience in areas such as memory management analysis, compiler theory, performance tuning.
- Familiarity with the .NET programming languages.
- Experience with technologies such as XML, JSON, Unicode and Internationalization.
- Familiarity with BASH or PowerShell scripting.
- Experience with CI/CV
- Experience with TDD/BDD or other testing methodologies.
- Experience in an agile scrum team development environment.
Here at Progress, we truly care about your employee experience. It is important to us for our employees to balance their work and home life, obtain viable options for their health and wellness, grow their career, and plan for financial success.
The Progress benefits package is designed to recognize the diverse needs of our work force. We offer a variety of benefits for your health care needs, including four medical plans that meet any need or budget. Take advantage of our financial benefits, including an Employee Stock Purchasing Plan and a 401(k) with a company match! In addition to a variety of options to continue your career growth, Progress offers a generous Tuition Reimbursement program.
Progress provides flexibility to our employees through Flexible Vacation Time, Flexible Hours, and telecommuting options. Take time to bond with your newest family addition through our Parental Leave options. Or celebrate you by enjoying a birthday holiday! You can even give back to the community through our community service time off.
Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Together, We Make Progress
Progress is an inclusive workplace where opportunities to succeed are available to everyone. As a multicultural company serving a global community, we encourage a wide range of points of view and celebrate our diverse backgrounds. Our unique combination of perspectives inspires innovation, connects us to our customers and positively affects our communities. It is only by working together and learning from each other that we make Progress. Join us!