We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Software Engineer for our DataDirect product group in our Morrisville, NC location. Please note that due to pandemic office closure this role will start remote but then transition into the Morrisville NC office once we reopen safely in 2021 (date TBD). JOB SUMMARY:
We are seeking software engineers who are self-driven and extremely passionate about designing and building low level software. The engineers will join our data connectivity and integration team, commonly known as DataDirect. The DataDirect team is responsible for building the best connectors on the market to connect all types of applications to data stored in relational, Big Data, and NoSQL databases as well as cloud services. You may work on bleeding edge data security features, maximizing performance, creating innovative solutions for fit-for-purpose sources, or enhancing or creating internal tools to maximize our efficiency.WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS ROLE:
WHAT THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL NEED TO HAVE:
- Participate in all aspects of the software life cycle (design, development, quality assurance, deployment, & maintenance)
- Actively involved in measuring, validating, and ensuring software meets the behavioral, quality, and performance requirements
- Contribute in debugging, troubleshooting defects; author software and build automation to resolve problems permanently
- Participate actively in code reviews, bug/issue triage, and support well informed decisions towards business and engineering goals
- Review and influence ongoing design, architecture, standards and methods for operating services and systems; assess design and code changes to drive improvements
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Excellent coding skills in C/C++ and Java with demonstrated experience; Python is a plus. This is not a senior role
- Experience in relational & non-relational database coding in SQL, ODBC, or JDBC
- Experience with Eclipse, Visual Studio, and Git
- Experience with hosted environments, including AWS and/or Azure
- Familiarity with container technologies, such as Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, or Chef
- Unix OS & shell scripting experience
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written with the ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment
- Passionate about sharing your experiences and knowledge and growing your peers
- Strong foundation in computer science, with competencies in software design for performance at scale.
- Experienced in software engineering processes, tools, methods, test development.
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Great design and problem-solving skills, with a strong emphasis on quality and engineering excellence
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability to deliver projects and results of increasing technical complexity with an ability to handle ambiguity
- Ability and interest in learning new technologies and applying them to our to our software
- A BS/MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience in relational databases, device driver design, OS development or network development preferred.
- Hands-on work with network testing, database/database server testing
- Experience with CI/TDD/BDD
Here at Progress, we truly care about your employee experience. It is important to us for our employees to balance their work and home life, obtain viable options for their health and wellness, grow their career, and plan for financial success.
The Progress benefits package is designed to recognize the diverse needs of our work force. We offer a variety of benefits for your health care needs, including four medical plans that meet any need or budget. Take advantage of our financial benefits, including an Employee Stock Purchasing Plan and a 401(k) with a company match! In addition to a variety of options to continue your career growth, Progress offers a generous Tuition Reimbursement program.
Progress provides flexibility to our employees through Flexible Vacation Time, Flexible Hours, and telecommuting options. Take time to bond with your newest family addition through our Parental Leave options. Or celebrate you by enjoying a birthday holiday! You can even give back to the community through our community service time off.Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Together, We Make Progress
Progress is an inclusive workplace where opportunities to succeed are available to everyone. As a multicultural company serving a global community, we encourage a wide range of points of view and celebrate our diverse backgrounds. Our unique combination of perspectives inspires innovation, connects us to our customers and positively affects our communities. It is only by working together and learning from each other that we make Progress. Join us!