Progress is currently hiring for a Software Engineer II
to join their OpenEdge Database Development team in Bedford, MA. This is a full time opportunity that is great for someone looking to get into a stable organization and grow their Software Engineer career!About the Team:
Serve as a key contributor on the Progress OpenEdge Database Development team. This team enhances and maintains the internals of the database engine, the database management utilities, interoperability with the OpenEdge language clients (ABL and SQL), and enterprise feature functionality such as partitioning, multi-tenancy, disaster recovery, and security. We enjoy a diverse customer base ranging from application providers in the cloud to large on premise direct end users. Customers run their businesses on OpenEdge, therefore database code must be robust, highly available, scalable, and performant. About the Role:
- Your primary focus will be on database management technologies - you may work on major sub-systems of the database manager, server operations, status monitoring, or multi-threaded utilities.
- You will be accountable for selected technical implementation, internal documentation, unit test development, and maintenance work on a subsystem, under supervision and mentoring from senior members in the group.
The following experience is a plus:
- We are looking for candidates with 2-4 years experience in software development.
- Worked on practical projects developing multi-threaded software in C/C++ and the use of shared memory.
- Experience implementing software using operating system fundamentals, including any of: file system and storage management, memory management, virtual memory, process synchronization, or multithreading.
- Experience demonstrating knowledge of relational database systems, either in the development and/or verification of RDBMS internals/features, or database administration and management, including configuring, monitoring, disaster recovery, maintenance, and failover.
- Strong problem analysis and solving skills
- Works independently and meets tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Comfortable working on both Unix and Windows operating systems
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent foundational experience. Must include courses covering data structures, algorithms, operating system fundamentals, and database fundamentals.
- A working understanding of Database technologies
- The development of commercial database engines or database reorganization utilities
- Familiarity with software development tools and environments