We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Sr. Technical Support Engineer on the DataDirect team. This will be a remote role, with ideal candidate being along the East Coast or Central US area, due to team/customers locations.
The DataDirect team is responsible for building the best connectors on the market to connect all types of applications to data stored in relational, Big Data, and NoSQL databases as well as cloud services.WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS ROLE:
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE, WE NEED SOME WHO HAS:
- Provides technical assistance to evaluators, customers, resellers and Progress employees via telephone, customer portal tickets, Screen sharing tools, or any other available communication option.
- Assists with the configuration, use, and maintenance of our software products
- Follows the processes and procedures for technical support workflow
- Diagnoses and explains external hardware and software issues that affect the use and/or configuration of our software (e.g., environmental or network)
- Provides customers with information about Progress products and resources
- Interacts professionally and courteously with all customers and peers. Easily approachable, reacts calmly under stressful situations; receive constructive criticism well. Maintains confidentiality.
- Communicates clearly and precisely with customers regarding expectations for callbacks, follow-ups regarding their issues, interactions with Development, and other open issues. Sets appropriate expectations for resolutions and workarounds for product defect
- Escalates product issues to management or other team members
- Logs product defects and feature requests clearly in the corresponding systems
- Provides Development with clear and complete information, when Development assistance is required, carrying out recommended diagnostic steps and gathering information as necessary
- Demonstrates and applies good understanding of knowledge capturing principles (e.g. create new knowledge resources and/or update the existing content - product demos, KB and technical articles/documentation, etc.)
- Reviews product documentation, identifies topics needing improvement and is able to contribute
- Participates in forums, responds to technical questions, sharing product knowledge with colleagues
- Provides assistance to peers working in the same specialty area as well as handling issues outside of the area of specialty
- Be part of an emergency-only after-hours call rotation (one weekend a month and paid additional money to do it)
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's Degree in an IT-related field or equivalent experience
- Experience with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems and networking concepts
- Experience in a software technical support, customer-facing role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including effective listening skill
- Solid analytical and troubleshooting skills specific to software related issues
- Demonstrated ability to handle large number of cases efficiently and effectively.
- Considerable knowledge of internet protocols (DNS, FTP, HTTP, LDAP, SMTP, SNMP, SSH, TCP, IPv4, IPv6 and IPSec)
- Experience with packet capture analysis (Wireshark, tcpdump)
- Experience with VMWare and/or other Virtualization products
- Database experience – Microsoft SQL Server, database management tools, ability to write SQL statements; ability to read a schema a plus
- Cloud Services
- Web API (RESTful, SOAP-based)
- Application Servers
- Experience with (BRMS) Business Rules Management Engines
- Experience with C, C++ and Java
- Experience with ADO.Net a plus
- Experience with cloud databases a plus
- Bi-lingual a plus but not required
Here at Progress, we truly care about your employee experience. It is important to us for our employees to balance their work and home life, obtain viable options for their health and wellness, grow their career, and plan for financial success.
The Progress benefits package is designed to recognize the diverse needs of our work force. We offer a variety of benefits for your health care needs, including four medical plans that meet any need or budget. Take advantage of our financial benefits, including an Employee Stock Purchasing Plan and a 401(k) with a company match! In addition to a variety of options to continue your career growth, Progress offers a generous Tuition Reimbursement program.
Progress provides flexibility to our employees through Flexible Vacation Time, Flexible Hours, and telecommuting options. Take time to bond with your newest family addition through our Parental Leave options. Or celebrate you by enjoying a birthday holiday! You can even give back to the community through our community service time off.Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Together, We Make Progress
Progress is an inclusive workplace where opportunities to succeed are available to everyone. As a multicultural company serving a global community, we encourage a wide range of points of view and celebrate our diverse backgrounds. Our unique combination of perspectives inspires innovation, connects us to our customers and positively affects our communities. It is only by working together and learning from each other that we make Progress. Join us!