We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Senior Counsel for our Commercial Legal Services group in our Bedford, MA headquarters.JOB SUMMARY:
The successful candidate for this position will be responsible, as a senior member of the Progress Software legal department team, for serving as the principal attorney supporting one of the company’s business units on all commercial matters, including advising management and other internal clients with respect to customer-facing transactions, as well as serving as the legal advisor on product-release teams. Candidates for this position will be qualified lawyers with strong business experience. In-house experience in the IT industry is essential, ideally in the software sector. The ideal candidate will have experience with – and will thrive on – working as a self-starter in an environment that is fast-paced, business and results-oriented and team-based.WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS ROLE:
WHAT THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL NEED TO HAVE:
- Develop and maintain solid working knowledge of the business through close involvement with sales personnel and other constituents throughout the organization. Key business relationships are with Sales, Finance, Operations, Product Management and Business Line executives.
- Participate on the business unit’s cross functional leadership team, providing legal guidance and counsel in connection with the business unit’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Provide legal advice and negotiation and drafting assistance in support of commercial transactions, including drafting and negotiating distributor, reseller, OEM, end-user, cloud subscription, support, professional services, non-disclosure, and inbound-technology procurement agreements for Progress products and services.
- Create contract templates and provide training to sales team on selection, completion, and deployment of appropriate contract templates, negotiation thresholds, order acceptance issues, and other contract related points
- Manage deal flow; monitor and complete transactions within tight time-frames; ensure Sales approvals and Finance review where necessary; and provide visibility to management.
- Serve as the legal advisor on product-related release teams; advise on inbound technology license transaction; prepare and/or revise license agreements consistent with license model changes.
- Work with Progress legal team colleagues responsible for the data protection practice area, as well as other constituents throughout the organization as needed, in the negotiation of BAAs, Data Processing Addenda, and commercial contract terms and conditions relating to data protection.
- Understand and support public company controls and procedures.
- A qualified attorney admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and a member of the Massachusetts Bar in good standing, with solid amount of experience as in-house counsel (law firm experience helpful but not required).
- Substantial experience in the software licensing industry (with expertise in various licensing models, products, and services); including experience with enterprise transactions, on-premises licensing, SaaS/cloud offerings, channels, open source software and software development practices.
- Working knowledge of data privacy and security requirements.
- In-house experience with a publicly traded company and/or demonstrated knowledge of best practice internal controls, procedures, risk surveillance, dispute management and escalation.
- Working knowledge of revenue recognition rules and ability to assist in assuring that all agreements conform to then current revenue recognition rules and company policies, and that where exceptions are made to company policies, that such exceptions are properly authorized.
- Excellent oral and written, presentation and communication skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence peers and superiors.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex legal issues and solutions to clients clearly and succinctly and develop credibility at all levels of the business organization.
- Proven analytical, time management, and problem-solving skills.
Here at Progress, we truly care about your employee experience. It is important to us for our employees to balance their work and home life, obtain viable options for their health and wellness, grow their career, and plan for financial success.
The Progress benefits package is designed to recognize the diverse needs of our work force. We offer a variety of benefits for your health care needs, including four medical plans that meet any need or budget. Take advantage of our financial benefits, including an Employee Stock Purchasing Plan and a 401(k) with a company match! In addition to a variety of options to continue your career growth, Progress offers a generous Tuition Reimbursement program.
Progress provides flexibility to our employees through Flexible Vacation Time, Flexible Hours, and telecommuting options. Take time to bond with your newest family addition through our Parental Leave options. Or celebrate you by enjoying a birthday holiday! You can even give back to the community through our community service time off.Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Together, We Make Progress
Progress is an inclusive workplace where opportunities to succeed are available to everyone. As a multicultural company serving a global community, we encourage a wide range of points of view and celebrate our diverse backgrounds. Our unique combination of perspectives inspires innovation, connects us to our customers and positively affects our communities. It is only by working together and learning from each other that we make Progress. Join us!