We're Progress – we offer the best products to develop, deploy, and manage high-impact applications. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build solutions that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other, and cheer our wins. Join us as a Senior Counsel
in the United Kingdom.
As a member of the Progress Software Legal Department team, you will be responsible for advising management and other internal clients for a wide variety of business issues and legal matters. Your area of responsibility:
- Play an integral role in some of the company's compliance programs, including export compliance, various regulatory compliance issues, and the company's global data privacy compliance program (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, etc.).
- Data privacy-related responsibilities will include (without limitations) providing privacy guidance and practical solutions within the company to ensure that regulatory and contractual obligations are met for data protection, security, and privacy; maintaining and implementing corporate privacy-related notices, policies, guidelines, and other process documentation; supporting other attorneys negotiating, and directly negotiate as necessary, privacy-related terms in commercial agreements with customers and vendors; advising on other privacy concerns in connection with onboarding and managing vendors and other third parties; driving deliverables needed for data inventory/data mapping initiatives; collaborating with other organizations (IT, Marketing, etc.) to ensure necessary controls, documentation, and objectives are met.
- Support the company's procurement efforts in negotiating purchasing agreements across a wide variety of areas, including SaaS agreements for business applications, hardware purchases, marketing agreements, IT agreements, and statements of work relating to services and/or implementation of processes and programs.
- Legal services in connection with other enterprise-wide company functions, such as Marketing, IT, and Facilities, assist with preparing and presenting training programs.
- Support M&A and divestiture efforts in both due diligence and integration.
- Extensive relevant experience
- Extensive knowledge of global privacy and data security laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), as well as state data breach notification laws and data security standards. The role is broad and involves advising our business on the various privacy risks, obligations and other issues related to privacy. CIPP/E and/or CIPP/US certifications are a plus.
- JD degree (or equivalent) with excellent academic credentials.
- Ability to communicate complex legal issues and solutions to clients clearly and succinctly and develop credibility at all levels of the business organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven analytical, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience drafting and negotiating business agreements.
- Understanding of public company controls and procedures and the need for risk surveillance.