We’re Progress – we offer the best platforms for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build products that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other, and cheer our wins. Join our Chef Product Group as a Principal Software Engineer working out of your home office in the United States .
In our Chef Product Group, we develop the world's best products for managing applications and infrastructure at scale, and we deploy them to solve real problems in all kinds of industries. We get to work with the latest in cloud and container technologies. We have the opportunity not just to follow but to shape best practices. Our platform is used to enable billions of people around the world to chat, fly, present, bank, game, shop, and learn. Chances are the applications and devices you use every day to have infrastructure built, deployed, secured, and run with our code.
As a build systems engineer, you are responsible for the big picture of how our systems relate to each other, we use a range of tools and approaches to solve a broad spectrum of problems. Practices such as limiting time spent on operational work, blameless postmortems, and proactive identification of potential outages factor into iterative improvement that is key to both the quality of our offerings and interesting and dynamic day-to-day work. This role is an opportunity to join Progress in building tools, platforms, and services that will allow us to continue to expand our customer base and service portfolio.
What You’ll Do:
- Implement and improve the whole life cycle of services, from inception and design, monitoring, and metrics to deployment (on-premise and cloud-based), operations, and refinement
- Support services before they go live through activities like system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and launch reviews
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health
- Collaborate with internal and external teams on release management activities, including developing automated deployment and testing tools
- Work as part of an agile team to proactively communicate status and complete deliverables on schedule
- Propose and implement continuous improvement activities
- Work on the standardization and documentation of common DevOps procedures
- Participate in the development of new features and bug fixes on Progresses custom build services
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems and guide ticket resolution for our key applications and platforms
- Assist your team and others in diagnosing and correcting build failures
- Teach, mentor, and learn from your team of world class engineers
- Collaborate with various stakeholders of the project including product management, UX, other teams as well as customers
Who You Are:
- Strong experience developing software with Ruby or Python
- Experience with CI/CD software such as Buildkite or Jenkins
- Ability to proactively and independently troubleshoot build failures.
- Knowledgeable in bash
- Familiar with Linux system internals.
- Comfortable with cloud based platforms as well as tools such as Terraform and Docker.
- Experience in managing AWS or Azure environments.
- Have the equivalent of 5 years or more of experience in the systems engineering or software engineering fields.
- An independent self-starter with a willingness to learn new things through experimentation and research
What we offer in return is the opportunity to join a talented team of bright and nice people and to also enjoy:
Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
- Medical, dental, vision, life & disability, and financial benefits (including 401(k) retirement savings plan. Tuition Reimbursement program. Additional voluntary benefits including crucial illness/hospital indemnity, identity theft protection, auto & home insurance, legal, and pet insurance.
- Competitive salary, uncapped commission, and best-in-class Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP) with a 27-month lookback
- Flexible paid vacation time, paid day off for your birthday, and company holidays. A variety of leave plans, including Parental Leave.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and an employee well-being program focusing on physical, mental, and financial health