We are looking for a Legal Counsel to join our Global Commercial Legal Services team in Rotterdam. The team works closely with the sales organizations and the back-office functions to give commercially-driven, fast and effective support to the organization. Whilst we conduct most of our business in English, Legal tries to ensure that there is expertise to support key EMEA jurisdictions which may require local language, the key ones being Dutch, German and French.
In this role you will provide commercial legal support across multiple European, Middle East and Africa countries. A key to success in the position will be strong contract management experience, combined with experience delivering commercial legal support in Germany (and ideally France) as well as Netherlands – experience in other international jurisdictions is not essential but would be useful. Experience in the IT software industry is essential, ideally in-house (or alternatively, experience in a top-tier law firm specialized in the IT industry). 90% of the focus of the role will be on commercial matters. Additional responsibilities may include legal support for the Company’s product releases.
Your area of responsibility:
- Advise local senior management and other internal clients on a variety of business issues and legal matters pertaining to contracts and licensing, including developing, drafting and negotiating distributor, reseller, OEM, end user and cloud subscription service agreements for Progress Software products and services.
- Create and/or update and localize agreement templates as and when required
- Assist in ensuring that all agreements conform to then current revenue recognition rules and company policies, and that where exceptions are made to company policies, that such exceptions are properly authorized
- Assist in ensuring that licensees uphold and comply with licensing terms and conditions.
- Provide support, in liaison with outside counsel, where appropriate, in addressing contract formation, license dispute resolution or compliance issues.
If the above fits your experience and interests, then we would be happy to hear from you! Apply now!
- Master’s degree in law. Advanced training in business or legal subjects desirable
- Substantial demonstrable experience in contract law
- Experience negotiating commercial contracts in multiple European countries, including experience in software licensing and services, intellectual property and copyright
- Extensive experience in areas requiring highly developed written and oral communication skills and negotiation expertise in German English and Dutch
- Excellent spoken and written skills in Dutch, English and German (French a plus).
- Excellent contractual interpretation and drafting skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively within a globally distributed legal team and with other personnel across borders
- Practical, creative, results-oriented thinking style with demonstrated ability to understand issues from both the legal and business perspective
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex legal issues and solutions to clients clearly and succinctly.
- Proven track record of interacting with senior “business-side” company management
- Ability to develop credibility at all levels of the business organization
- High energy, technology-savvy individual
- Highly detail oriented
- Able to hit the ground running, carry a significant workload and work with limited supervision
- There will be limited requirement to travel, occasionally a requirement to visit German customers and one trip to US HQ each year
Progress is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building a versatile environment for all our employees.