We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Senior Services Consultant for our Chef product group working out of your home office in the UK.
In our Chef Professional Services Group, we work with the world's best products for managing applications and infrastructure at scale, and we deploy them to solve real problems in all kinds of industries. We get to work with the latest in cloud and container technologies. We have the opportunity not just to follow but to shape best practices. Our platform is used to enable billions of people around the world to chat, fly, present, bank, game, shop, and learn. Chances are the applications and devices you use every day to have infrastructure built, deployed, secured, and run with our code.
A Senior Services Consultant is a technical champion and mentor-coach who drives the adoption of Chef products and practices with our customers. The Senior Services Consultant is highly experienced in applying automation to improve business performance. The Senior Services Consultant coaches our customers’ technical decision-makers and senior management to identify and prioritize business problems, define measures around these, and plan technical strategies for addressing these problems. Strategies frequently include workflow design and deployment architecture.
What you'll do in this role:
- Deliver services offerings such as implementations, training and integrations to meet Customer Business Outcomes. This may include white-boarding and helping design an architecture one day and writing code the next!
- Recommend product improvements based on customers’ experiences
- Staying up to date on the ever-evolving state of technology, including both technology that is inside Chef, and in complementary/competitive fields outside of Chef
What the ideal candidate will need to have:
- Willingness to learn and a growth mindset may substitute for specific qualifications below - If you have a passion for DevOps, we’d love to meet you, even if you don’t feel you tick every box!
- Solid coding experience and expertise in Ruby or similar
- Extensive demonstrated experience in systems engineering/administration or software development
- Demonstrably superb verbal communications skills, including a dynamic and engaging presentation style that inspires confidence
- Deep understanding of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery tools and principles
- Experience in using Continuous Delivery practices to release to production
- Demonstrate empathy and understanding of the work engineers, architects, managers, and others do in the building, releasing, and maintaining software
- Experience using Agile and/or Lean techniques, such as Scrum and Kanban
- Familiarity with cloud-native design patterns, microservices, and modern web-scale architectures
- Skill navigating organizations and creating alliances to resolve problems
Desired (but not essential):
- This section lists some extra things we’d love to see in candidates, but don’t consider essential:
- Expert-level working knowledge of Chef Software, including Chef Infra Client and Server, Chef InSpec, and/or Chef Habitat
- Experience engaging with the Chef Open Source Community
- Experience with IT Audit and Compliance process and tools
- Consulting or customer-facing experience