The successful candidate for this position will be responsible, as a member of the Progress Software legal department team, for advising management and other internal clients with respect to commercial matters and customer-facing transactions within the Americas region, as well as serving as the legal advisor on product-release teams. Candidates for this position will be qualified lawyers with strong business experience. In-house experience in the IT industry is essential, ideally in the software sector. The ideal candidate will have experience with – and will thrive on – working as a self-starter in an environment that is fast-paced, business and results-oriented and team-based.
About the Role:
- Develop and maintain solid working knowledge of the business through close involvement with sales personnel and other constituents throughout the organization. Key business relationships are with Sales, Finance, Operations, Product Management and Business Line executives.
- Advise internal clients with respect to a wide variety of business issues and legal matters pertaining to contracts and licensing, including drafting and negotiating distributor, reseller, OEM, end-user, cloud subscription, support, professional services, non-disclosure, and inbound-technology procurement agreements for Progress products and services.
- Understand and support public company controls and procedures.
- Create contract templates and provide training to regional sales team on selection, completion, and deployment of appropriate contract templates, negotiation thresholds, order acceptance issues, and other contract related points.
- Work with Progress legal team colleagues responsible for the data protection practice area, as well as other constituents throughout the organization as needed, in the negotiation of BAAs, Data Processing Addenda, and commercial contract terms and conditions relating to data protection.
- A qualified attorney admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and a member of the Massachusetts Bar in good standing, with 5 or more years of experience as in-house counsel (law firm experience helpful but not required);
- Substantial experience in the software licensing industry (with expertise in various licensing models, products and services); including experience with enterprise transactions, on-premises licensing, SaaS/cloud offerings, channels, open source software and software development practices;
- Working knowledge of data privacy and security requirements.
- In-house experience with a publicly traded company and/or demonstrated knowledge of best practice internal controls, procedures, risk surveillance, dispute management and escalation.
- Working knowledge of revenue recognition rules and ability to assist in assuring that all agreements conform to then current revenue recognition rules and company policies, and that where exceptions are made to company policies, that such exceptions are properly authorized.
- Excellent oral and written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex legal issues and solutions to clients clearly and succinctly and develop credibility at all levels of the business organization.
- Proven analytical, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong ethical practice and commitment to professional responsibility
- Confident, talented, independent and highly motivated with the ability to accept significant responsibility.
- Positive attitude and self starter.
- Excels in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Able to successfully manage competing priorities and work independently on a wide range of issues and projects, while delivering quality work under demanding deadlines.
- A team player, able to learn from and share experiences with other members of the Progress Legal team.
Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!