We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Counsel in our Bedford, MA headquarters location. Due to pandemic, this role will start remotely but then transition into the Bedford office once we reopen in future. Candidates must be local to that location from the beginning.JOB SUMMARY:
The Counsel position is responsible for advising management and other internal clients with respect to commercial matters and customer-facing transactions, as well as serving as the legal advisor on product-release teams. Candidates for this position will be qualified lawyers with strong business experience. In-house experience in the IT industry is essential, ideally in the software sector. The ideal candidate will have experience with – and will thrive on – working as a self-starter in an environment that is fast-paced, business and results-oriented and team-based.WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS ROLE:
WHAT THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL NEED TO HAVE:
- Develop and maintain solid working knowledge of the business through close involvement with sales personnel and other constituents throughout the organization. Key business relationships are with Sales, Order Management, Finance, Operations, Product Management and Business Line executives.
- Advise internal clients with respect to a wide variety of business issues and legal matters pertaining to contracts and licensing, including drafting and negotiating distributor, reseller, OEM, end-user, cloud subscription, support, professional services, non-disclosure, and inbound-technology procurement agreements for Progress products and services.
- Analyze, manage, respond to, and negotiate various types of commercial contract issues, while adhering to tight deadlines.
- Translate complex legal requirements and advice from legalese into plain English in order to provide day-to-day practical guidance for business stakeholders.
- Understand and support public company controls and procedures. Assist in ensuring that all agreements conform to applicable revenue recognition rules and company policies, and that where exceptions are made to company policies, that such exceptions are properly authorized.
- Create contract templates and enablement materials; provide training to sales team on negotiation thresholds, order acceptance issues, contract negotiation points and positions, as well as, the selection, completion, and deployment of appropriate contract templates and enablement materials.
- Work with Progress legal team colleagues responsible for the privacy and data protection practice area, as well as other constituents throughout the organization as needed, in the negotiation of BAAs, Data Processing Addenda, security agreement addendum, and commercial contract terms and conditions relating to data protection.
- Participate in compliance initiatives including training internal clients on legal and contracting policies or issues, including ethics and anti-corruption issues and partner onboarding.
- Is a qualified attorney admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and a member of the Massachusetts Bar in good standing, with 3-6 years of experience as in-house counsel (law firm experience helpful but not required);
- Has experience in the software licensing industry (with expertise in various licensing models, products and services); including experience with enterprise transactions, on-premises licensing, SaaS/cloud offerings, distribution channels, open source software and software development practices;
- Possesses a working knowledge of data privacy and security requirements;
- Has in-house experience with a publicly traded company and/or demonstrated knowledge of best practice internal controls, procedures, risk surveillance, dispute management and escalation;
- Works efficiently, meeting demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, prioritizes work, and adjusts to frequent workload fluctuations;
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity and creativity, is engaged in the business, and ready to solve problems and seize opportunities when and where they arise, driving change and challenging complacency;
- Focuses on hands-on practical outcomes, being flexible and spending time on what’s important;
- Is highly organized, seeing the “big picture” while maintaining attention to detail;
- Establishes effective relationships and earns trust and respect. Demonstrates confidence and competence to internal and external constituents;
- Operates with energy and intensity and responds comfortably to the same in others; and
- Demonstrates excellent negotiation, interpersonal, organizational, critical thinking and written and oral communications skills.
Here at Progress, we truly care about your employee experience. It is important to us for our employees to balance their work and home life, obtain viable options for their health and wellness, grow their career, and plan for financial success.
The Progress benefits package is designed to recognize the diverse needs of our work force. We offer a variety of benefits for your health care needs, including four medical plans that meet any need or budget. Take advantage of our financial benefits, including an Employee Stock Purchasing Plan and a 401(k) with a company match! In addition to a variety of options to continue your career growth, Progress offers a generous Tuition Reimbursement program.
Progress provides flexibility to our employees through Flexible Vacation Time, Flexible Hours, and telecommuting options. Take time to bond with your newest family addition through our Parental Leave options. Or celebrate you by enjoying a birthday holiday! You can even give back to the community through our community service time off.
Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Together, We Make Progress
Progress is an inclusive workplace where opportunities to succeed are available to everyone. As a multicultural company serving a global community, we encourage a wide range of points of view and celebrate our diverse backgrounds. Our unique combination of perspectives inspires innovation, connects us to our customers and positively affects our communities. It is only by working together and learning from each other that we make Progress. Join us!