We’re Progress – we offer the best products to develop, deploy, and manage high-impact business applications. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build solutions that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other, and cheer our wins. Join us as a Counsel working out of your home office in the United States. Please note this is a level 2 role, which means will grow into Senior and more in time, but not senior or higher for actual opening.
As a member of the Progress Software Legal team, the successful candidate for this position will be responsible for advising management and other internal clients with respect to commercial matters and customer-facing transactions within the DevTools and Chef business lines, as well as serving as the legal advisor on product-release matters. Candidates for this position will be qualified lawyers with strong business experience. In-house experience in the IT industry is essential, ideally in the software sector. The ideal candidate will have experience with – and will thrive on – working as a self-starter in an environment that is fast-paced, business and results-oriented and team-based.WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS ROLE:
WHAT THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL NEED TO HAVE:
- Develop and maintain solid working knowledge of the business through close involvement with sales personnel and other constituents throughout the organization. Key business relationships are with Sales, Finance, Operations, Product Management and Business Line executives.
- Advise internal clients, particularly the Sales and Product teams for DevTools and Chef product lines, with respect to a wide variety of business issues and legal matters pertaining to contracts and licensing, including drafting and negotiating end-user, cloud subscription, support, professional services, non-disclosure, distributor, reseller, OEM and inbound-technology procurement agreements for Progress products and services.
- Understand and support public company controls and procedures.
- Create contract templates and provide training to different Sales teams on selection, completion, and deployment of appropriate contract templates, negotiation thresholds, order acceptance issues, and other contract related points.
- Work with Progress Legal team colleagues responsible for the data protection practice area, as well as other constituents throughout the organization as needed, in the negotiation of BAAs, Data Processing Addenda, and commercial contract terms and conditions relating to data protection and security.
- Develop and implement projects to simplify processes, automate, eliminate bottlenecks, and scale in response to higher sales volume to drive value and efficiency for the business and the legal department.
- A qualified attorney admitted to practice in one or more states in the United States and a member of one or more state Bar(s) in good standing, with 5 or more years of experience as in-house counsel (law firm experience helpful but not required);
- Substantial experience in the software licensing industry (with expertise in various licensing models, products and services), including experience with enterprise transactions, on-premises licensing, SaaS/cloud offerings, channels, open source software and software development practices;
- Working knowledge of data privacy and security requirements.
- In-house experience with a publicly traded company and/or demonstrated knowledge of best practice internal controls, procedures, risk surveillance, dispute management and escalation.
- Working knowledge of revenue recognition rules and ability to assist in assuring that all agreements conform to then current revenue recognition rules and company policies, and that exceptions made to company policies are properly authorized and approved.
- Experience interacting with Sales organizations through platforms such as Salesforce.
- Excellent oral and written presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex legal issues and solutions to clients clearly and succinctly, develop credibility and earn trust at all levels of the business organization.
- Proven analytical, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong ethical practice and commitment to professional responsibility.
- Confident, talented, independent and highly motivated with the ability to accept significant responsibility.
- Positive attitude and self starter.
- Excels in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Able to successfully manage competing priorities and work independently on a wide range of issues and projects, while delivering quality work under demanding deadlines.
- A team player, able to learn from and share experiences with other members of the Progress Legal team.
Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
- Medical, dental, vision, life & disability, and financial benefits (including 401(k) retirement savings plan. Tuition Reimbursement program. Additional voluntary benefits including crucial illness/hospital indemnity, identity theft protection, auto & home insurance, legal, and pet insurance.
- Competitive salary, bonus, and best-in-class Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP) with a 27-month lookback
- Flexible paid vacation time, paid day off for your birthday, and company holidays. A variety of leave plans, including Parental Leave.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and an employee well-being program focusing on physical, mental, and financial health.