Today’s businesses regularly face complex decisions that demand real time resolution. For many, automated decision-making is a vital tool that empowers organizations to improve productivity and customer service and adapt quickly to changing market conditions.
Here are 7 ways automating your decision-making with OpenEdge rules can benefit your organization:
1. Managing complexity – Some decisions are really hard to make, and you must consider a multitude of related input parameters (for instance patient care – parameters could include only administering a drug for one gender, age group, or set of patients without particular medical history). Programming this by conventional means is daunting (and error prone). Business Rules Automation allows you to set up simple if-then scenarios.
2. Managing ambiguity – Formulating decisions can quickly become a non-trivial effort. For a (seemingly) simple insurance risk rating decision, you consider age, hobbies, are they a smoker, etc., but are there “gaps” and inconsistencies in the way the decision will be executed? Catching these ambiguities early will save you enormously.
3. Regulatory pressure – Businesses can quickly and securely accommodate changes to algorithms and logic associated with regulatory issues, for instance changes in taxation rates, testing periods for drug field-testing, or thresholds for banking transactions.
4. Managing compliance – Casting business decisions into discrete services enables users to easily attach an auditing capability to the business logic (e.g. audit loan requests that are greater than $100K, orders with a total value less than $1,000, etc.)
5. Managing agility – Operationally, things in your enterprise may go wrong and you will need to intervene (e.g. a distribution center is experiencing delays and you want to switch the flow of goods by rerouting through an alternative distribution center). Imagine externalizing that logic and putting it into the hands of an operations supervisor… automation helps keep your business agile.
6. Making safe decisions – Having decision services as assets that can be tested in isolation and easily deployed into business processes makes for robust, secure business applications.
7. Making fast decisions – Lift decisions from code into a visual environment, enabling LOB experts to quickly modify and evolve existing logic to cater for evolving needs. Contrast this to the “old way” of modifying, testing and debugging code…
Gary is responsible for developing go-to-market strategies, providing technical marketing support and developing best practice materials for the Rollbase aPaaS platform.
Subscribe to get all the news, info and tutorials you need to build better business apps and sites
You have the right to request deletion of your Personal Information at any time.
You can also ask us not to pass your Personal Information to third parties here: Do Not Sell My Info
Copyright © 2020 Progress Software Corporation and/or its subsidiaries or affiliates.All Rights Reserved.
Progress, Telerik, Ipswitch, and certain product names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Progress Software Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. See Trademarks for appropriate markings.